Nosh your way around the world starting this weekend without leaving town.
The menu includes sukiyaki, sushi, senbei crackers and teriyaki from Japan, capirotada from Mexico and Hawaiian kalua pork. Here are the details for the upcoming fundraisers and classes:
• 61st Sukiyaki Dinner, noon-7 p.m., Highland Park United Methodist Church, 611 S. Garfield St., $12.50.
Sukiyaki, sushi, baked goods, crafts and Japanese items for sale. Part of the Japan Week festivities. (509) 535-2687.
• Tardeada and capirotada cooking class, 9:30 a.m., El Mercado del Pueblo, 1814 N. Division St., $12/capirotada cooking class, $5/cascarones class.
Learn to make capirotada, a traditional Mexican bread pudding for Easter. Class starts at 9:30 a.m. At 11 a.m., learn to make cascarones, or decorated confetti eggs that are traditionally broken over someone’s head at Easter for luck.
Purchase food from the Mexican deli and stay for the afternoon tardeada, or fiesta, and learn to salsa dance and listen to a mariachi band. Call the store to reserve a class space or for more information, (509) 327-2856.
• Whitworth Hawaiian Club, 41st annual Lu’au, 6 p.m., Whitworth Field House, 300 W. Hawthorne Road, $20/adults, $15/students, $10/children ages 6 to 12. Tickets available at the Hixson Union Building. Call (509) 777-3796.
The menu will include chow mein, teriyaki beef, shoyu chicken, kalua pig, macaroni salad, green salad, sweet potato, poi, haupia and upside down pineapple cake. Entertainment includes a local band and Hawaiian dancing.
• Spring Food Bazaar, 11 a.m.- 2 p.m., Spokane Buddhist Temple, 927 S. Perry St.
Takeout only including chicken teriyaki bento with tsukemono (Japanese cabbage salad) and rice ($10), senbei crackers ($4), sushi (starting at $5) including inari, futomaki and California roll.
Part of Japan Week festivities. Volunteers spend two days making the senbei crackers by hand. Pre-orders are recommended. Call (509) 534-7954 and someone will call back to confirm.
• Sushi/Yakisoba Noodles lunch at Spokane Falls Community College, SUB lounges A, B and C, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., $5-$8.
Part of Japan Week festivities. Call (509) 533-3367 for more information.
Wednesday, April 20:
Japanese lunch, noon-12:45 p.m., Corbin Senior Activity Center, 827 W. Cleveland Ave., $7.50.
Part of Japan Week festivities. Register and pay by Thursday to reserve a space. Call (509) 327-1584.
Thursdays, April 21
or April 28:
Sushi Making Classes with Atsumi McCauley, Japan Cultural Center, Mukogawa Fort Wright Institute, 6 p.m., $20.
Part of Japan Week festivities. For information or to register call Candie Coker at (509) 328-2971.
For details on Japan Week, go to www.japanweek spokane.com.