Churches plan for Holy Week
Holy Week, the week before Easter, begins with Palm Sunday this weekend. A full schedule of special worship services and other events is planned before the celebration of Christ’s resurrection.
• The choir of Spokane Valley United Methodist Church will perform the cantata “Come Walk with Me” during a combined worship service at 10 a.m. Sunday. A “Hallelujah Party” is planned for children following the service, beginning at 11:30 a.m. There will be crafts and games in the Fellowship Hall.
The church, 115 N. Raymond Road, will also host a Maundy Thursday candlelight service at 7 p.m.
• The Episcopal Church of the Resurrection, 15319 E. Eighth Ave., will have one Mass for Palm Sunday at 9 a.m. The service will include a palm procession. A Maundy Thursday service will begin at 6 p.m. with the symbolic stripping of the altar.
• St. Mary’s Catholic Church, 304 S. Adams Road, will host the Stations of the Cross on Good Friday at noon. A Good Friday Mass will begin at 7 p.m.
• Zion Lutheran Church will celebrate Holy Week with a 7 p.m. Maundy Thursday service and two Good Friday services. A short service will begin at 12:10 p.m. Friday and the second will begin at 7 p.m. The church is at 8304 E. Buckeye Ave.
• The community is invited to an Easter egg hunt hosted by One at 24th Avenue and Sullivan Road beginning at 10 a.m. next Saturday. There will be many free activities, including a petting zoo, jumping castles, face painting, balloon animals and pictures with the Easter bunny. The egg hunt is intended for children in fifth grade or younger, and kids should bring their own baskets or bags to collect eggs.
• A family movie night will kick off Holy Week at Redeemer Lutheran Church, 3606 S. Schafer Road. The church will show a VeggieTales movie called “Twas the Night Before Easter” at 6:30 p.m. Sunday. Popcorn and drinks will be served. Admission is free and all are welcome.
Redeemer Lutheran will also host its annual community Easter egg hunt at 11 a.m. next Saturday. There will be more than 6,000 eggs filled with candy, plus a petting zoo, jumping castle and hot dogs. The event is free.
• A Good Friday communion service will begin at 7 p.m. at Foothills Community Church, 11102 N. Forker Road.
• The Veradale United Church of Christ, 611 N. Progress Road, will host a Holy Thursday service at 7 p.m. The service will be preceded by a simple soup and bread supper at 6:30 p.m. The congregation of Opportunity Christian Church has been invited to participate.
• The Spokane Valley Stake of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints will put on performances of the musical Easter program “I Feel My Savior’s Love” at 7 p.m. Friday and next Saturday at 21022 E. Wellesley Ave. The church’s adult and children’s choirs will perform Easter music accompanied by a display of Christian art. The event is free.
• The congregations of Good Shepherd Lutheran, Christ Lutheran and Holy Trinity Lutheran churches will join together for several Holy Week services. A Maundy Thursday service will begin at 6:30 p.m. at Good Shepherd, 810 S. Sullivan Road. Holy Trinity, 2511 S. Pines Road, will host a Good Friday service at 6:30 p.m.
• A Good Friday service will begin at 7 p.m. at Opportunity Christian Church, 708 N. Pines Road.
• A movie night featuring “The Passion of the Christ” will begin at 6:30 p.m. today at Opportunity Presbyterian Church, 202 N. Pines Road. A separate movie will be shown for children.
The church will host a soup supper at 6 p.m. Thursday, followed by a Maundy Thursday service at 7 p.m. The church’s Good Friday service will also begin at 7 p.m.
• The Spokane Valley Church of the Nazarene, 15515 E. 20th Ave., will have 7 p.m. worship services on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.
Second Harvest and Thrivent Financial for Lutherans are teaming to bring a mobile food bank truck to Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, 810 S. Sullivan Road, from 10 a.m. to noon Wednesday. The food, including fresh produce, will be available to anyone who needs it. It will not count as the single monthly food bank visit allowed to families. No paperwork is required. Recipients are asked to bring their own bags or boxes to carry the food.