While you’re busy trying to beat the heat, don’t forget about Fido:
• Take care to walk your dog early in the morning or evening, so as not to expose him to excessively hot pavement. Alternatively, walk on a cooler surface, such as grass.
• If you notice your dog alternately picking up one paw, then another, his feet are burning – get him to a cooler area immediately.
• If your dog spends time out in the yard, make sure there is adequate shade available at all times of the day. Place water buckets in shaded areas and add ice to them.
• If possible, purchase a children’s swimming pool and fill it daily with cool, clean water for your dog to soak in if he chooses.
• Keep your dog’s coat in good condition by regularly brushing and removing dead coat and mats. Longer coats actually provide some insulation from the heat, so don’t assume that shaving it off will help.
» Find more health and fitness tips in Tuesday’s Today section.
Green King’s Deep Drip Watering Stakes get water where trees and shrubs need it.
The stakes direct water deep into the soil to the plants’ roots, helping to prevent erosion and reduce water waste. They can also be used to fertilize trees and shrubs.
Each stake is driven into the ground and then attached to a drip emitter. A regular garden hose set to a very slow flow can also be used.
The watering stakes come in 14-, 24- and 36-inch lengths. They sell for $8.99 to $10.99 at www.deepdrip.com or (866) 469-4330.
» Find more home and garden ideas in Sunday’s Today section.
Cool off your kitchen – but not your palate – with a spicy Jerk-Seasoned Chicken Salad, tamed by an accompanying salad of mixed berries. For the recipes, see page C7.
» Find more recipes and restaurant news in Wednesday’s Food section.
Here’s what’s on the schedule for this week:
On CD (Tuesday)
Trace Adkins, “Proud to Be Here”
Fountains of Wayne, “Sky Full of Holes”
Keb Mo, “The Reflection”
John Hiatt, “Dirty Jeans & Mudslide Hymns”
On DVD (Tuesday)
“The Perfect Game”
In theaters (Friday)
“The Change-Up” (comedy)
“Rise of the Planet of the Apes” (sci-fi action)
“Take the Money and Run”: Woody Allen is nowhere to be seen in this new game show where players try to hide $100,000 from the cops. (Tuesday, 9 p.m., ABC)
“Franklin & Bash”: The lawyer pals try to beat their boss’ murder rap in the first-season finale. (Wednesday, 9 p.m., TNT)
“Jersey Shore”: The guidos and guidettes return for a fourth season in Italy itself. (Thursday, 10 p.m., MTV)
“Friends With Benefits”: Ryan Hansen (“Veronica Mars”) and Danneel Ackles (“One Tree Hill”) star in this new sitcom about the wild world of dating. (Friday, 8 p.m., NBC)
Guy Clark: Wednesday, Bing Crosby Theater
Festival at Sandpoint: Rickie Lee Jones, Thursday; Brandi Carlile, Friday; Chris Isaak and Lukas Nelson, Saturday; Spokane Youth Orchestra, Sunday
Brian Posehn: Friday, Bing Crosby Theater
Phish: Friday-Saturday, The Gorge
Beach Boys: Saturday, Northern Quest Casino outdoors
Art on the Green/Downtown Street Fair/Taste of the Coeur d’Alenes: Friday-Sunday, Coeur d’Alene
First Friday art walk: Friday, downtown Spokane
Spokane Highland Games: Saturday, Spokane County Fair and Expo Center
» Find a full arts and entertainment roundup in the Thursday and Friday Today sections.