With amusement park season screeching to a close and carnivals popping up at county fairs, be sure to take steps to make your outings safer. Some tips from the American Coaster Enthusiasts:
• Sip water all day long to prevent dehydration symptoms, including dizziness, headache and fatigue; don’t wait until you feel thirsty. Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
• Slather on sunscreen. Reapply at least three times daily, even hourly if you do lots of water rides.
• Dress appropriately. Don’t wear clothing with hoods or strings, which could get tangled on equipment. Tie back long hair.
• Skip attractions that don’t look well-maintained, creak or have worn safety straps. Also be sure ride operators are paying attention.
• Don’t pig out. To avoid motion sickness, limit foods that are greasy, fatty, spicy or high in sugar. Unless you’re sure of your stomach, wait about hour after eating to get on big rides.
» Find more health and fitness tips in Tuesday’s Today section.
Paper gets pizazz in “Modern Paper Crafts” (Stewart, Tabori & Chang, $24.95).
Margaret Van Sicklen, a designer and paper artist, uses folding, cutting, scoring and pleating to make home and gift items with a modern flair.
She gives readers a lesson on paper and its qualities, helps them set up a work space and then teaches them the various techniques, including instructions for a variety of projects such as flowers, holiday ornaments, mobiles and a mirror frame.
Warm nights call for cool meals – like a roast beef sandwich in a pita pocket, topped with a seasonal relish of fresh corn and tomatoes. For the recipe, see page C7.
Here’s what’s on the schedule for this week:
On CD (Tuesday)
Jeff Bridges, “Jeff Bridges”
Blue October, “Any Man in America”
Jewel, “The Merry Goes ’Round”
Guy Clark, “Songs & Stories”
On DVD (Tuesday)
In theaters (Friday)
“Conan the Barbarian” (action)
“Fright Night” (horror)
“One Day” (romance)
“Spy Kids: All the Time in the World” (family adventure)
“Made”: Debut of the adult version of MTV’s teen lifestyle makeover series. (Wednesday, 10 p.m., CMT)
“Do Something Awards”: Jane Lynch (“Glee”) hosts the annual tribute to young “world-changers.” (Thursday, 9 p.m., VH1)
“The Glee Project”: The winning wannabe is selected in the season finale. (Sunday, 9 p.m., Oxygen)
Spokane Symphony: Thursday, The Fox; Saturday, Northern Quest Casino
Toby Keith: Thursday, Northern Quest Casino; Saturday, The Gorge
Jonny Lang: Thursday, Knitting Factory Concert House
Goodguys Great Northwest Nationals: Friday-Sunday, Spokane County Fair and Expo Center
Bonner County Fair and Rodeo: Friday-Aug. 27, Sandpoint
National Lentil Festival: Friday-Saturday, Pullman
Coeur d’Alene Wooden Boat Show: Saturday-Sunday, Coeur d’Alene
» Find a full arts and entertainment roundup in the Thursday and Friday Today sections.