Arrow-right Camera
News >  Nation/World

In brief: Subway stations shut amid protests

SAN FRANCISCO – Rush-hour protests prompted the closure of four San Francisco subway stations and sent hundreds of commuters into the sidewalks and streets Monday, but there was no repeat of the wireless service shutdowns that angered protesters last week.

The Bay Area Rapid Transit agency has found itself in the middle of a raging debate over how far authorities should go to disrupt protests organized on social networks. The agency shut cellphone service last Thursday to quell a brewing protest on one of its platforms over a police shooting.

Cellphone service was operating Monday night as an estimated 50 protesters gathered on the Civic Center Station platform chanting “no justice, no peace” shortly after 5 p.m. Thirty minutes later, police in riot gear and wielding batons closed the station and cleared the platform after protesters briefly delayed an eastbound train from departing.

From Civic Center, the protesters were joined by more demonstrators and marched down San Francisco’s Market Street and attempted to enter to more stations. Officials closed those stations as well.

Man accused of decapitating son, 7

NEW ORLEANS – A Louisiana man is accused of bludgeoning, decapitating and dismembering his disabled 7-year-old son and leaving the boy’s head near the street so the child’s mother would see it, authorities said Monday.

Jeremiah Lee Wright, 30, of Thibodaux, waived his right to an attorney and confessed to killing Jori Lirette within 30 minutes of being brought to the police station Sunday, police Chief Scott Silverii said. He said Wright was booked with first-degree murder and held in lieu of $5 million bond.

Silverii said the motive was unclear, though Wright told police “that he’d gotten to the point where he was tired of taking care” of the boy, who had cerebral palsy and heart problems, needed a feeding tube, had limited speech and was in a wheelchair.

Chlorine leak injures 20 at water park

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Fire officials say 20 people, including nine children, were taken to hospitals after a high concentration of chlorine was released into the wave pool at Raging Waters, a private water park at the state fairgrounds in Sacramento.

Assistant Fire Chief Niko King said at least two of the victims had serious respiratory complaints or complaints of burning eyes. He and hospital officials did not immediately have conditions on the victims.

King said a mechanical problem with the equipment that pumps chlorine apparently caused the excessive chemical release.

Suspicious mail sent to lawmakers

ANCHORAGE, Alaska – Suspicious packages were received through the mail Monday by Alaska’s three-member congressional delegation and at least two contained a white powder.

The packages were received in the Fairbanks offices of Sens. Mark Begich and Lisa Murkowski and the Anchorage office of Rep. Don Young. Begich is a Democrat. Murkowski and Young are Republicans.

Young’s office late Monday afternoon issued a statement saying the FBI informed his staff that the powder is a mixture of concrete and not hazardous. Calls to the Anchorage Fire Department and the FBI were not immediately returned.

Plane struck mountain in heavy fog

ANCHORAGE, Alaska – An investigator looking into a fatal plane crash in Alaska said one of the four survivors told him the small aircraft struck the side of a mountain in fog so thick it created whiteout conditions.

The plane was carrying all three teachers for the tiny village of Anvik when it went down Saturday night, killing one of the teachers just days before classes were set to begin. The pilot also died.

National Transportation Safety Board investigator Clint Johnson said he spoke Monday with survivor Don Evans, one of the teachers. Evans told Johnson that 20 minutes into the flight the plane ran into a cloud ceiling, then struck the mountain.


Top stories in Nation/World

North and South Korean leaders hold surprise 2nd summit

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon Jae-in met for the second time in a month on Saturday, holding a surprise summit at a border truce village to discuss Kim’s potential meeting with President Donald Trump, Moon’s office said.