Have an item for Business Beat? Send it to businessbeat @spokesman.com.
• Whitworth University appointed Rhosetta Rhodes as chief of staff in the office of the president. Rhodes has served as director of service-learning and community engagement at the university since 2007.
• Ken Nichols has been hired as a professional engineer for Century West Engineering Inc.’s Coeur d’Alene office. He is certified by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying and is licensed in Idaho and Washington. He has more than 20 years of engineering experience and has worked as a consultant for the past 11 years.
• The Washington Department of Ecology presented an “Outstanding Wastewater Treatment Plant” award to Mayor John Higgins on behalf of the City of Medical Lake’s Wastewater Treatment and Reuse Facility.
• Providence Holy Family Hospital appointed Sharon Hershman director of nursing. Hershman previously served as director of clinical informatics and nurse manager of the intensive care unit at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center.
• Judith Personett of Nine Mile Falls received the “Exceptional Contribution Award in Nursing” from the National Council of State Boards of Nursing. Personett is a registered nurse and serves on the Washington State Nursing Care Quality Assurance Commission.
• Coeur d’Alene Mines Corp. appointed Donald Moss vice president of information technology. He previously served as the IT director and has been with the company since 1999.
• Brenda Simpson has been elected president of the American Bridge Teachers’ Association. Simpson is a Spokane Bridge teacher and director.
• Cheryl Kilday of the Spokane Regional Convention and Visitors Bureau and George Schweitzer of Red Lion Hotels have been named members of the Washington Tourism Alliance’s charter board of directors.
• The following individuals have been elected to leadership positions for 2011-’12 for American Red Cross Inland Northwest Chapter’s board of directors: chair, Brady Cass of Asuris Northwest Health; vice chair, David Condon, Spokane mayoral candidate; and secretary, John Caskey of Fairmont Memorial Association.
• Gail Atherley has been hired as business/human resource coordinator for Spokane Guilds’ School and Neuromuscular Center. She is a Certified Public Accountant and graduate of the University of Montana. She previously worked as a financial analyst and senior accountant for Spokane Housing Authority.
• The Greater Spokane County Meals on Wheels received a $50,000 Walmart-Meals on Wheels Association of America Building the Future Vision Grant. The local organization will use the funds to expand its Silver Café Senior Dining Program.
• Tim Brodeur has been named center director for the Central Spokane YMCA. The organization also named Dan White center director for the North Spokane YMCA.
• Keller Williams Realty Spokane has hired Sean Logon as an agent. He previously worked for Exit Real Estate North.
• Bryn West has been appointed general manager of River Park Square LLC. She previously served as shopping center manger and assistant marketing director.