Arrow-right Camera


Spokane Valley fire burns out two residents

Sun., Aug. 28, 2011, 2:56 p.m.

Two Spokane Valley residents were burned out of their home overnight on Saturday in a fire that started in a basement bedroom.

Firefighters responded to the 11:45 p.m. fire at 13919 E. 12th Ave. after one of the residents went to a nearby fire station and called 911 from an emergency phone outside the station.

Only one of six smoke detectors was working. No injuries were reported. Damage was estimated at $30,000. The Red Cross responded to help the adult and a teenager with emergency shelter and other needs.

The fire comes at the end of a long month in which more than 90 people have been burned out of their homes and apartments in the Spokane area.

Click here to comment on this story »