August 29, 2011 in Nation/World

Survivors say scores killed inside Tripoli

Pro-Gadhafi forces accused of massacre
Ben Hubbard Associated Press
 
Rebels reject talks

Libyan rebel leaders Sunday dismissed a purported offer by Moammar Gadhafi to negotiate a transition in government.

The Associated Press reported late Saturday that Moussa Ibrahim, a spokesman for Gadhafi’s government, had called its New York headquarters to offer talks on a “transfer of power,” saying the leader’s son, al-Saadi, would conduct the negotiations.

A top official of the National Transitional Council rejected the offer. “We have no negotiations with Gadhafi, and we can offer him only two things: safety and a fair trial,” Ahmad Darrat said.

Los Angeles Times

TRIPOLI, Libya – Retreating loyalists of Moammar Gadhafi killed scores of detainees and arbitrarily shot civilians over the past week, as rebel forces extended their control over the Libyan capital, survivors and a human rights group said Sunday.

In one case, Gadhafi fighters opened fire and hurled grenades at more than 120 civilians huddling in a hangar used as a makeshift lockup near a military base, said Mabrouk Abdullah, 45, who escaped with a bullet wound in his side. Some 50 charred corpses were still scattered across the hangar Sunday.

New York-based Human Rights Watch said the evidence it has collected so far “strongly suggests that Gadhafi government forces went on a spate of arbitrary killing as Tripoli was falling.” The justice minister in the rebels’ interim government, Mohammed al-Alagi, said the allegations would be investigated and leaders of Gadhafi’s military units put on trial.

So far, there have been no specific allegations of atrocities carried out by rebel fighters, though human rights groups are continuing to investigate some unsolved cases.

As the rebels consolidated their control and Gadhafi fighters fled, reports of atrocities began emerging over the weekend.

Human Rights Watch said it has evidence indicating regime troops killed at least 17 detainees in an improvised lockup, a building of Libya’s internal security service, in the Gargur neighborhood of Tripoli. A doctor who examined the corpses said about half had been shot in the back of the head and that abrasions on ankles and wrists suggested they had been bound.

Gadhafi forces set up another detention center in a hangar near their Yarmouk military base in southern Tripoli.

Abdullah, who was at the hangar Sunday, said he had survived a massacre there last week. All civilian captives were beaten and tortured, he said.

“They didn’t even ask us questions,” he said, “They just beat us and called us rats.”

© Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus