Local news

In brief: Harpham sentencing delayed for research

THURSDAY, DEC. 1, 2011

A federal judge Wednesday delayed the sentencing of Kevin W. Harpham, who admitted he left the bomb discovered on the planned route of this year’s Martin Luther King Jr. Unity March in downtown Spokane.

U.S. District Judge Justin Quackenbush granted the request to allow Harpham’s lawyers to research federal definitions that could affect their ability to seek a shorter prison sentence.

Harpham, 37, faces 27 to 32 years after pleading guilty in September to the attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction and targeting minorities. Federal investigators credited Spokane police for rerouting the Jan. 17 march and preventing Harpham from getting close enough to use a remote device to detonate the bomb.

Sentencing is now scheduled for Dec. 20.

Thomas Clouse

Woman’s death treated as homicide

A 62-year-old woman was found dead in her Northport, Wash., home Saturday in what Stevens County authorities are investigating as a homicide.

No arrests have been made in the death of Narleen Campton, but Sheriff Kendle Allen said investigators are pursuing leads.

A neighbor called police about 2:40 p.m. Saturday and reported finding Campton dead in her home after not hearing from her for a few days, Allen said.

Allen said he’s not releasing further details about the death because investigators still have people to interview.

Anyone with information on Campton’s death is asked to call the Stevens County Sheriff’s Office at (509) 684-2555.

Meghann M. Cuniff

Charges considered in fatal gunshot

Kootenai County Prosecutor Barry McHugh says he is reviewing the death of a 7-year-old Coeur d’Alene boy who was shot and killed during a hunting trip.

The Kootenai County Sheriff’s Department recently completed its investigation into Conner Bartlett’s death and turned that information over to the prosecutor’s office for possible criminal charges, the Coeur d’Alene Press reported. McHugh said he’s not sure how long it will take to decide whether to file charges.

Officials said the boy was on a hunting trip with family members on Oct. 15 and his father, Robert Bartlett, was putting a hunting rifle into a vehicle when it discharged. The bullet struck Conner, and emergency workers pronounced him dead a short time later.

Associated Press


Click here to comment on this story »

Back to Spokesman Mobile