Kayla Standish had a standout game Friday night, scoring a game-high 26 points to lead the Gonzaga women’s basketball team past Cal State Fullerton (3-3) 73-60 in a nonconference game in Fullerton, Calif.
Standish also had 11 rebounds – five offensive – for the Bulldogs, who improved to 5-1 on the season.
Taelor Karr (15) and Haiden Palmer (10) also reached double figures for GU.
The Bulldogs host Southern California at 2 p.m. Sunday.
• Ireti Amojo made 4 of 6 3-pointers and finished with 16 points and seven rebounds as Washington State improved to 5-4 with a 65-50 nonconference win over San Diego State (4-3) in Pullman.
WSU doesn’t play again until a Dec. 11 game at home against UC Riverside.
• Whitworth opened a difficult weekend of Northwest Conference play at Whitworth Fieldhouse with a 69-56 loss to Lewis & Clark (6-0, 1-0).
Whitworth (2-5, 0-1), which entertains third-ranked George Fox at 6 tonight, was paced by Emily Guthrie, who finished with 15 points.
• Eastern Washington struggled shooting the ball and fell 74-43 to Arizona State at the Arizona State Classic in Tempe, Ariz.
EWU (3-4) will play its second and final game of the ASU Classic today against Arkansas State.
• Rosalie Cutri had 14 points and seven assists as Casper (8-1) jumped ahead early and held on to beat Community Colleges of Spokane 70-61 in a nonconference game at Spokane Community College.
Emily Abbott led three Sasquatch players in double figures with 14 points.
Next up for CCS (2-4) is a game against Quest University on Friday in Moses Lake.
• Kate Buskey led four players in double figures with 19 points as North Idaho improved to 6-1 with a 73-56 nonconference win over Sheridan (Wyo.) in Coeur d’Alene.
The Cardinals host Casper today.
North Idaho came alive in the second half and beat Green River (2-2) in the opening round of the Bigfoot-Cardinal Classic in Coeur d’Alene.
Michael Middlebrooks led a balanced Cardinals’ attack with 14 points and 11 rebounds.
NIC (8-0) advances to play Yakima (2-1), which beat Salish Kootenai, today in the first round.
Also at the tournament, Community Colleges of Spokane remained undefeated with an 82-57 win over Gonzaga’s club team.
Preston Wynne had a game-high 15 points for the Sasquatch (4-0), who will take on Shoreline (4-1) tonight.
Lewis-Clark State College (23-6) was eliminated by Azusa Pacific (Calif.) in five sets at the NAIA national championships in Sioux City, Iowa. Game scores were 29-27, 29-27, 22-25, 26-28, 15-8.
Click here to comment on this story »