The countdown is on – only 10 days until Christmas. To celebrate, area churches are hosting several events this week.
• The German-American Society will present its annual German Christmas Service on Sunday at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, 316 E. 24th Ave., at 3 p.m.
The service will be held in both English and German and will be officiated by the Rev. James Stern.
Traditional German Christmas carols will be sung before and during the service by the Concordia Choir.
A reception with coffee and Christmas cookies will follow the service at the Deutches Haus, 25 W. Third Ave.
For more information, call Eberhard Schmidt at (509) 928-2595.
• Manito United Methodist Church, 3220 S. Grand Blvd., will host a Blue Christmas service Friday at 7 p.m. The service is for those who may be suffering through the Christmas holidays alone.
The service is a quiet, candlelit time to heal grief and find hope for the future.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 747-4755.
• The Children’s Choir of Shiloh Hills Fellowship, 207 E. Lincoln Road, will present “The Real Christmas Story,” Sunday at 6 p.m.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 467-9380.
• St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church , 5720 S. Perry St., will present a Blue Christmas service Saturday at 3 p.m.
The service will be a quiet one, with music, Scripture, silence, reflection and healing prayer.
The church will also celebrate the fourth Sunday of Advent with an 8 a.m. Holy Eucharist service and a 10:15 a.m. service with Advent lessons and carols.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 448-2255.
• Fowler United Methodist Church, 3928 N. Howard St., will present a special Christmas program during its 10:30 a.m. worship service Sunday.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 325-3242.
• First Church of the Nazarene, 9004 N. Country Homes Blvd., will present pipe organist Kenneth Fuller Sunday at 6 p.m.
Fuller will present his annual holiday concert on the church’s restored 1914 Wurlitzer theatre pipe organ. He will play familiar carols and audience can sing along.
The Spokane gospel quartet, FourGiven, will also play.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 467-8986.
Shabbat celebration at Unitarian Church
Rabbi Elizabeth Goldstein will lead a combination of chanting and silent meditation Friday at 7:30 p.m. in a Shabbat celebration at Congregation Emanu-El in the Unitarian Universalist Church, 4340 W. Fort George Wright Drive.
The service is unique in that it brings chanting to the Sabbath service.
For more information, call the Unitarian Universalist Church at (509) 325-6383.
Singles group plans holiday potluck
Christian Singles Fellowship will present its annual Christmas celebration and potluck on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. in the fellowship hall of North Addison Baptist Church, 6120 N. Addison St.
Ham, rolls and beverages will be provided and attendees are asked to bring a main dish, vegetable, salad or dessert to share.
For more information, call (509) 927-0304.