That’s News to you answers
Here are the answers to this week’s quiz.
1. B. In October 2007, during the surge, U.S. troop strength reached 170,000, and overall troop strength with allied forces was about 182,000.
2. C. Projections say India, which has about 1.24 billion people, will pass China in nine years at the current rate of growth.
3. A. Cain said he thought he’d be good for defense, to help rebuild the military the way it should be. That prompted the normally unflappable Walters to say “What?”
4. C. Smylie served three straight terms, from 1955-’67. Andrus served three terms, but not consecutively; Evans served half of one of Andrus’ terms and was elected twice himself. Ross served three terms in the 1930s, when a term was two years instead of four.
5. B. The session started Nov. 28 and ended Dec. 14, so officially they used 17 days, although there were only a few days in which legislators debated or voted on bills.
On the Web: For a longer, interactive quiz and a chance to win lunch for two at the Davenport Hotel, try the online version at spokesman.com/newsquiz.
Last week’s winner: Jim Eggers.