December 26, 2011 in City

In brief: Fireplace blamed for duplex blaze

 

Two families escaped a Christmas morning fire in northeast Spokane duplex that lacked working smoke detectors.

Spokane firefighters contained the fire to the attic of one side of the duplex, but both the families in both units were displaced due to damage to utilities, according to a news release from the Spokane Fire Department.

“Both families were incredibly fortunate as there were no working smoke detectors in the building,” Assistant Spokane Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer said in the release.

The fire was accidental, caused by a faulty fireplace, Schaeffer said.

Twenty-six firefighters responded to the fire at 5:33 a.m. at 823 E. Crown Ave. They found smoke showing from the attic and first floor, and flames from the roof of the one-story duplex.

An adult male occupant of the unit on fire had been awoken by a neighbor and was outside the home.

An adult male and his son living in the adjacent unit were quickly located and brought outside by firefighters.

The fire was contained within an hour of firefighters arriving, Schaeffer said. No one was injured.

Staff report

Two killed in single-car crash

Autopsies will be performed this week on two men who died in a single-vehicle accident Saturday morning west of Cheney.

The men, whose identities have not been released, were killed when the speeding pickup truck left a straight section of Salnave Road, rolled at least four times and came to rest about 344 feet out in a wheat field, the Spokane County Sheriff’s Office said.

The 28-year-old driver was a Cheney resident. His 30-year-old passenger was from Spokane. The men were found dead, still in their seat belts, inside a 2004 Ford F-150 about 6:30 a.m.

The truck was traveling an estimated 90 mph – twice the speed limit – just east of Granite Lake Road, about 2  1/2 miles west of Cheney, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Staff report


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email