Sunday begins a new year filled with new possibilities. Area churches are starting the year with special services.
• St. David’s Episcopal Church, 7315 N. Wall St., will hold a New Year’s Day service of lessons and carols Sunday at 9 a.m.
The service will be followed by a Celtic Eucharist service at 11 a.m., which will include the Scottish ritual of “Opening the Door.”
For more information, call the church office at (509) 466-3100.
• The Spokane Buddhist Temple, 927 S. Perry St., will host a New Year’s Eve Joya-E service Saturday from 7 to 8 p.m.
The service, “Bell of the Last Night,” will include attendees ringing the temple’s large Japanese Kansho bell 108 times to ring out the old year and ring in the new.
For more information, call the temple office at (509) 534-7954.
• Shiloh Hills Fellowship, 207 E. Lincoln Road, will have a New Year’s Day worship service at 10 a.m.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 467-9380.
• St. John’s Lutheran Church, 5810 S. Meadowlane Road, will hold New Year’s Day worship at 9:30 a.m.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 747-0984.
• The Center for Spiritual Living, 2825 E. 33rd Ave., will present a service as part of a worldwide event Saturday at 4 a.m.
The World Peace Meditation will share a reading of a meditation for world peace, followed by silent meditation and prayer.
After the event, participants are invited to travel to Shari’s on Monroe Street and Northwest Boulevard for breakfast.
For more information, call the center at (509) 534-1011.