February 16, 2011 in City, Idaho

Snow showers may pick up tonight

By The Spokesman-Review
 
Mike Prager photo

A mix of clouds showed up over Spokane today in a low pressure system that could bring some snow tonight.
(Full-size photo)

Twitter
Follow @SR_Weather on Twitter for Inland Northwest forecasts and updates from The Spokesman-Review.
On the Web
Weather:Washington | Idaho

Traffic:Street cameras

Highway information:Idaho | Washington | Montana | Oregon

A deep upper-level low-pressure area is moving over the Inland Northwest today, bringing with it an increasing chance of snow showers tonight and Thursday.

While the chance of rain or snow showers is pegged at 20 percent in Spokane today, the risk of snowfall increases to 60 percent after 10 p.m. continuing into Thursday.

Less than an inch of snow could fall tonight and less than a half-inch on Thursday.

Highs today under mostly cloudy skies will struggle to reach 40 under a light southwest wind.

Coeur d’Alene has a 40 percent chance of rain or snow showers today; a 60 percent chance of snow showers tonight; and a 70 percent chance of snow showers on Thursday.

Lows tonight should reach the upper 20s to low 30s.

A cold front that stalled on Tuesday across southeast Washington and the central Idaho Panhandle left impressive precipitation totals.

Pullman, Lewiston and Mullan Pass set daily records for precipitation on Tuesday. Pullman had 0.65 inches of precipitation. Lewiston had 0.92 inches, and Mullan Pass had 1.05 inches.

Snowfall was widespread across that part of the region with 4 to 7 inches reported, especially above 2,700 feet in elevation.

The cold air over the Pacific Northwest was evident in the Portland-Vancouver area on the lower Columbia River where snow was reported this morning.

Locally, showers should continue into Friday night, and then the region will dry out over the weekend but remain cool with highs in the upper 30s and lows in the middle 20s.

Saturday could see a return to mostly sunny skies in Spokane.

At 7 a.m., it was 32 degrees at Spokane International Airport, 36 at Felts Field, 34 in Coeur d’Alene, 33 in Deer Park and 31 in Pullman.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus