Four schools in Central Valley School District had heating issues Monday, but by afternoon they were warming up, school officials said.
Students at University High School, North Pines Middle School and Broadway and Opportunity elementary schools were impacted. No students were sent home despite the below freezing temperatures.
“We decided because it was such late notice for the families, we’d go ahead with the school day,” said district spokeswoman Melanie Rose.
Opportunity Elementary School’s heat “shut down completely and that caused some freezing pipes,” Rose said. “It was slow to warm up in the classrooms.”
Rose added, “the pipe that burst flooded a classroom, first grade, and they were in a makeshift classroom for the rest of the day, now we are down to just a few classes where kids and teachers have coats on, but this morning they all did.”
Space heaters were brought in to warm up the rooms, she said.
sponsored You’ve probably heard of co-ops: food co-ops, childcare co-ops, housing co-ops, energy co-ops.