January 5, 2011 in City

Dryer fire cancels classes at Post Fall High School

By The Spokesman-Review
 
Map of this story's location

A small fire in a clothes dryer forced evacuation Tuesday morning of Post Falls High School as well as cancellation of classes for the day, officials said.

The fire began about 7:45 a.m. and quickly was extinguished, but it filled the school’s gymnasium with smoke, said Jim Lyon, fire information officer for Kootenai County Fire and Rescue in Post Falls.

The fire, he said, set off the sprinkler head in the utility room, and the sprinkler was not able to put out the fire.

Students were quickly evacuated to nearby churches and an elementary school. Classes were canceled largely to avoid any health risk from breathing smoke.

Students who drive to school were allowed to leave and buses were summoned to take others home.

The athletic facility remained taped off Tuesday while firefighters set up fans to remove smoke from the building.

The blaze was caused by lint buildup outside of the lint filter on the dryer confined to the small concrete block room at the school at 2832 E. Poleline Ave.

School officials said classes would resume today.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email