Arrow-right Camera


How to get IRS tax forms

Fri., Jan. 7, 2011

The Internal Revenue Service said Thursday it will no longer be automatically mailing paper tax packages, due to the continued growth in electronic filing. But it still has free tax forms and publications on a wide variety of topics.

Here’s how to obtain them:

On the Internet: All forms and publications are available on the IRS site,

Taxpayer Assistance Centers: The IRS operates 401 centers nationwide where it offers face-to-face assistance and where taxpayers can pick up many IRS forms and publications. Locations are listed on the IRS website.

Community locations: Many libraries and post offices offer free tax forms during tax filing season. Many large grocery stores, copy centers and office supply stores have forms you can make copies of.

By mail: You can call (800) TAX-FORM (800-829-3676) to order current-year forms. The IRS requests that taxpayers wait until after Monday to place requests.


Click here to comment on this story »