Arrow-right Camera


In brief: Suspect prescription results in man’s arrest

A forged prescription intended to garner 90 hydrocodone pills instead led to the arrest of a 20-year-old Spokane Valley man Thursday.

Employees at Walgreens, 2702 N. Argonne Road, suspected Robert G. Morey was handing them a forged prescription. They called 911 after an employee confirmed the forgery with the prescribing doctor’s office, the Spokane County Sheriff’s Office said Friday.

Deputy Tom Edelbrock arrived just as Morey was receiving the medication and arrested him about 3:45 p.m.

Morey was booked into jail for felony possession of a controlled substance.

State flags at half-staff for fallen Army private

Washington Gov. Chris Gregoire has ordered flags flown at half-staff on Tuesday in memory of U.S. Army Pvt. Robert J. Near, 21, of Granger, Wash.

Near died last week in Kandahar Province in Afghanistan. The flags will remain at half-staff until the end of business on Tuesday or the start of the business day on Wednesday.

Postal inspector nabs mail theft suspects

An observant postal inspector arrested two mail theft suspects this week after recognizing them from surveillance video.

Tony L. Gust, 31, and Dustin C. Hoyle, 22, were arrested Tuesday after admitting to stealing mail from the Opportunity station, according to federal court documents.

The men are accused of breaking into 32 post office boxes and 18 parcel lockers at the post office at 11712 E. Sprague Ave. early Monday.

Video showed two men breaking into the boxes about 12:52 a.m. and leaving at 1:07 a.m., then returning at 1:42 a.m. and using a knife to access the lockers, according to court documents.

U.S. Postal Inspector Shannon Saylor was patrolling the area of Pines Road and Fifth Avenue on Tuesday when she saw two men who looked like the burglars.

Both were released from federal custody after appearing in U.S. District Court on Tuesday, but Hoyle remains in jail on an unrelated negligent driving charge.

Three more sentenced in slaying of officers

TACOMA – Three people have been sentenced to prison for their actions following the fatal shootings of four Lakewood police officers in late 2009.

The longest of the sentences was given to Eddie Davis, who received more than a decade for helping Maurice Clemmons after the shooting and for gun charges, according to the News Tribune of Tacoma.

Pierce County Superior Court Judge Stephanie Arend sentenced Clemmons’ friend Doug Davis to 7  1/2 years on weapons charges and his aunt Letrecia Nelson to more than six years.

Prosecutors had sought 25 years for Eddie Davis, 20 years for Doug Davis and 15 years for Nelson.

In all seven people were accused of helping Clemmons after the November 2009 shooting.

Five have been convicted, one was acquitted and another, alleged getaway driver Darcus Allen, awaits trial.


Click here to comment on this story »