WHAT: Stop calling me! People tell the BBB that telemarketers, bogus debt collectors and other pests won’t quit calling them. Some phone up to 30 times a day.
WHAT TO DO: The Federal Trade Commission regulates debt collectors and telemarketers. Report harassing or scam calls to (877) 382-4357. Also, you can:
• Contact your telephone company, which may block the number, for a fee.
• Consider getting an unlisted number, making it harder for random callers to find you.
• Call the offices the caller claims to represent, using a number you look up, not one the caller gives you.
REMEMBER: Tell debt collectors to send you proof of a debt in writing. If you don’t receive papers, it’s probably a scam. Never respond to unsolicited phone calls demanding money or your personal information.
DON’T KNOW WHO CALLED? These websites can help you find out:
• 800 Notes: http://800notes.com
• Caller Complaints: callercomplaints.com
• Who Called: http://whocalled.us
• Number Investigator: numberinvestigator.com
• U.S. Area Code Help: www.areacodehelp.com
• International: countrycallingcodes.com
MORE INFO OR REPORT SCAMS: Visit the BBB at www.bbb.org, or call (509) 455-4200 or (800) 356-1007.
Holly Doering, Better Business Bureau