A thunderstorm was moving across Stevens County this afternoon and was considered to be capable of producing small hail, the National Weather Service said.
A 3:30 p.m., it was located 34 miles northwest of Spokane a drifting to the northeast at about 35 mph. It was expected to reach Chewelah just after 4 p.m.
Otherwise, the Inland Northwest should see showers and possible thunderstorms through this evening as a cold front moves over the region.
The new Pacific low pressure system is sending the cold front this way, and it is going to provide a focusing mechanism for showers and thunderstorms this evening, forecasters said.
A 40 percent chance of showers today will give way to a 60 percent chance tonight. Highs are going to once again be warm with highs in the middle 80s under partly sunny skies.
The warm air lingering over the region will help promote the chance of showers or thunderstorms, but rainfall amounts will generally be light.
Once the storms clear the region, temperatures will drop back into the upper 70s before returning to the lower 80s on Thursday and Friday. Lows will remain in the 50s.
The weekend will see more sun and highs in the lower and middle 80s.
At 7 a.m., it was 65 at Spokane International Airport and Felts Field, 61 in Coeur d’Alene and 63 in Deer Park