The Spokesman-Review

Child burned in fire

A 9-year-old girl sustained critical burns today in a North Spokane house fire started by the child playing with a lighter, fire officials said.

The Spokane Fire Department responded about 10 a.m. to a home in the 2900 block of West Central Avenue, arriving to find a child with critical burns being cared for by her family, Assistant Chief Brian Schaeffer said in a press release.

Firefighters also found a small fire inside the home, Schaeffer said.

The girl was taken to a Spokane trauma center, and later flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where her condition is unknown late Wednesday.


There are three comments on this story »



Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(509) 747-4422
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile