Jim Kershner’s This day in history » On the Web: spokesman.com/topics/local-history
From our archives, 50 years ago
A group called Spokane Unlimited unveiled a 20-year plan for revitalizing downtown, in four five-year phases:
• Phase One: Construction of a new City Hall, Public Safety Building and possibly a state office building; acquisition of Havermale Island for “cultural and civic purposes”; a multilevel parking garage on the site of the then-existing City Hall at Wall and Trent (downtown parking was a huge issue in 1961 because of the increasing competition from newfangled shopping malls).
• Phase Two: Two more parking garages, one at Monroe and Main, and one at Washington and Trent; the building of “overhead sidewalks”; construction of a new federal building; development of a parkway on the north bank of the Spokane River.
• Phase Three: Construction of a new city library on Havermale Island; creation of a recreation area and parkway north of Trent.
• Phase Four: A new county courthouse and county public safety building; beautification on both banks of the Spokane River; urban renewal action in Peaceful Valley.
Most of this plan was never implemented. Expo ’74 would change the face of Spokane in unforeseen ways.
Also on this date
(From the Associated Press)
1215: England’s King John put his seal to Magna Carta at Runnymede.