Dive boat leaves without snorkeler
SYDNEY – Australian safety officials said today that they were investigating a dive boat company that accidentally left a U.S. tourist behind while he was snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef, forcing the panicked man to swim to another boat for help.
A spokesman for the company denied Ian Cole was ever in danger. But the incident drew immediate comparisons to the infamous case of Americans Tom and Eileen Lonergan, who died in 1998 after their tour boat left while they were scuba diving on the reef. Officials believe they drowned or were eaten by sharks.
Cole, 28, of Michigan, said he was snorkeling on Saturday when he lifted his head out of the water and realized his tour boat, the Passions of Paradise, was nowhere in sight.
“The adrenalin hit in and I had a moment of panic, which was the worst thing I could have done at that point,” Cole told the Cairns Post. “I was able to calm myself just a little bit because there was another boat still out there and I made my way to that vessel. Lucky it was there because otherwise I may have drowned. I did not handle the situation well and I was tired.”
Safety standards for recreational dive boat operators on the reef were strengthened after the Lonergans were abandoned in 1998.
Still, a handful of reef tourists have found themselves adrift since then. In 2008, a British diver and his American girlfriend became lost when they resurfaced from a dive on the reef and found themselves far away from their dive boat. They were rescued from the ocean by helicopter after spending 19 hours in the water.
© Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.