Men’s basketball: Rodney McGruder scored 22 points and surging, unranked Kansas State muscled past slumping No. 7 Texas 75-70 on Monday night, the Wildcats’ fifth straight win.
Jacob Pullen scored 16 of his 20 points in the second half as Kansas State (21-9, 9-6 Big 12) sent the Longhorns (24-6, 12-3) to their second straight loss and third in four games.
Tristan Thompson scored 26 points for Texas, but his teammates shot just 14 of 54 from the field.
• Irish rain 3s to bury Villanova: Tim Abromaitis made a career-high nine 3-pointers and scored 30 points and Ben Hansbrough had 30 points and 10 assists in his final home game Monday night as No. 8 Notre Dame routed No. 19 Villanova 93-72 to secure a double bye in the Big East tournament.
Notre Dame (24-5, 13-4) hit a school-record 20 3-pointers to beat the Wildcats (21-9, 9-8) and finish unbeaten in 17 games at the Purcell Pavilion, the only team in the league to be spotless on its home court.
• Buckeyes bounce back to No. 1 spot: Ohio State returned to No. 1 in the Associated Press’ poll, the third straight week there was been a change at the top.
Ohio State received 45 first-place votes from the 65-member national media panel, easily outdistancing Kansas, which moves to No. 2.
BYU, which had five first-place votes, jumped from seventh to third, while Pittsburgh remained fourth, tied with Duke. Purdue, Texas, Notre Dame, San Diego State and Wisconsin round out the top 10.
Suns use OT to spoil Williams’ Nets debut
NBA: Channing Frye hit a 3-pointer with 6.6 seconds to play in overtime and the Phoenix Suns spoiled Deron Williams’ home debut for the Nets with a 104-103 victory over New Jersey in Newark, N.J.
Williams had 13 points and a season-high 18 assists, including five in rallying New Jersey from a seven-point deficit late in the fourth quarter.
• Bibby contract bought out: Mike Bibby reached a buyout agreement with Washington, giving up $6.2 million rather than stay with the last-place Wizards.
Bibby will receive the remainder of his $5.6 million salary for this season, but he gave up his entire amount of the final season of his contract for his freedom.
• Calf injury sidelines Spurs’ Parker: Spurs point guard Tony Parker will likely miss two to four weeks with a sore calf muscle.
Parker strained his left calf in Sunday’s win over Memphis.
• Cavaliers lose Jamison: Cavaliers forward Antawn Jamison will likely miss the remainder of the season with a broken finger that will require surgery.
Cincinnati upsets Marquette to end skid
Women’s basketball: Shareese Ulis scored 20 points and led a 3-point barrage that led Cincinnati (9-19, 2-14 Big East) to a 65-62 victory over No. 20 Marquette (22-7, 10-6) in Cincinnati, ending the Bearcats’ 13-game losing streak.
Cincinnati was 13 of 29 overall on 3-pointers.
• South Florida takes down Georgetown: Leondra Doomes-Stephens had a career-high 25 points and 13 rebounds, Andrea Smith scored 24 points, and South Florida (12-18, 3-13 Big East) beat No. 17 Georgetown (21-9, 9-7) 60-55 in Tampa, Fla.
Blackhawks top Wild to stretch win streak
NHL: Patrick Sharp and Jonathan Toews each scored in the second period, and the Chicago Blackhawks stretched their winning streak to a season-high five games with a 4-2 win over the Minnesota Wild in St. Paul, Minn.
Tomas Kopecky also scored in the second and Marian Hossa sealed the game with a short-handed goal with 1:52 remaining.
Auto racing: Morgan Lucas defeated Shawn Langdon in the Top Fuel final Sunday at the season-opening NHRA Winternationals in Pomona, Calif.
Robert Hight won the Funny Car final while Jason Line won in Pro Stock.
Lucas powered to a run of 3.835 seconds at 316.38 mph.
A Facebook Friend from Coeur d'Alene was unnerved at what she found on her front lawn Monday -- a marijuana pipe that looked like a blown-glass fish, something a child ...
Here's a news item from the Associated Press: BOISE, Idaho (AP) - As state officials prepare to honor the fifteenth anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, a small part ...
A) No, I didn't start taking myself much too seriously until quite a bit later. B) You mean like Tracy Flick in that movie "Election"? C) Yes, and we did ...
Aug 24 2016, 1:18 AM srchat: Welcome to our WSU football chat. I'll sign on at 10 a.m., but feel free to submit your questions early. Aug 24 2016, 11:03 ...
sponsored You’ve probably heard of co-ops: food co-ops, childcare co-ops, housing co-ops, energy co-ops.