This Wednesday is Ash Wednesday, which marks the beginning of the 40-day period preceding Easter known as Lent. Several Valley churches will be hosting special worship services and other events to mark the day.
• Zion Lutheran Church will begin its Ash Wednesday service at 6:45 p.m. It will be preceded by a soup and sandwich supper at 6 p.m. The supper and service will be offered each Wednesday during Lent through April 13. The church is at 8304 E. Buckeye Ave.
• Before Ash Wednesday comes Shrove Tuesday and the congregation of the Episcopal Church of the Resurrection will celebrate with a pancake supper Tuesday at 5 p.m. The menu will also include ham, scrambled eggs and applesauce. Donations will be accepted.
The church’s Ash Wednesday services will begin at noon and 7 p.m. on Wednesday. The church is at 15319 E. Eighth Ave.
• Opportunity Christian Church, 708 N. Pines Road, will offer a service at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
• The Veradale United Church of Christ will also host a Shrove Tuesday pancake supper, which will begin at 6 p.m. at the church, 611 N. Progress Road. The church will also host its popular pancake flipping race. The evening will be followed by a short worship service.
• An Ash Wednesday service will begin at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Opportunity Presbyterian Church, 202 N. Pines Road.
Next Saturday the church will have an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast hosted by Boy Scout Troop 456 from 8 a.m. to noon. The price will be $5 per person and tickets can be purchased at the church. Call the church office at (509) 924-9750 for more information.
Lenten fish fry
St. Mary’s Catholic Church will have a fish fry hosted by the Knights of Columbus Fridays during Lent, through April 15. The meal will be served from 5:30 to 6:45 p.m. each week and people are welcome to stay for the Stations of the Cross at 7 p.m. The menu includes baked or fried fish, french fries, clam chowder, coleslaw and bread. Donations will be accepted at the door.
During the first meal on Friday the Inland Northwest Blood Center’s blood mobile will be on site from 4 to 8 p.m. for those who would like to donate blood. The church is at 304 S. Adams Road.
The 20th annual auction at Spokane Valley United Methodist Church is set for March 12 to raise money to send church youth to summer camp. The theme of this year’s event is “Camping Madness.” Doors will open for the silent auction at 4:30 p.m. and a pulled pork dinner will be served from 5 to 6 p.m. The meal will be followed by the live auction.
The dinner is $10 for adults and $5 for children. Call the church office at (509) 924-7262 for more information. The church is at 115 N. Raymond Road.