March 8, 2011 in Nation/World

Sheen fired from hit comedy show

Associated Press
 

LOS ANGELES – Charlie Sheen was fired Monday from “Two and a Half Men” by Warner Bros. Television following the hard-living actor’s bouts of wild partying, repeated hospitalizations and a bitter media campaign against his studio bosses.

The action was taken after “careful consideration” and was effective immediately, the studio said. No decision has been made on the show’s future without its star, Warner spokesman Paul McGuire said.

Sheen, 45, who has used TV, radio and social media to create a big megaphone for himself, was not silent for long.

In a text to the Associated Press, he responded by referring to his bosses with an expletive and, “They lose,” followed by the word “Trolls.” Asked if he planned to sue, Sheen texted back, “Big.” As for his next move, Sheen texted, “A big one.”

The firing capped a rare, raging public battle between a Hollywood star and those who employ him, with Sheen claiming the right to live as he pleased – including the acknowledged use of illegal drugs, although he’s said he is currently clean – as long as he showed up sober and ready to work.

Last month, Warner canceled the remaining eight episodes of what was intended to be a 24-episode season of “Men,” citing Sheen’s public behavior and rants against the show’s co-creator, veteran producer Chuck Lorre.

© Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus