March 8, 2011 in City

Smoke detector awakens sleepers to N. Side fire

 

A smoke detector alerted sleeping residents to a fire in their home in North Spokane this morning, and allowed the occupants to escape safely, Spokane firefighters said.

The 1 a.m. fire at 4827 N. Addison St. apparently started in the kitchen where it caused heavy damage. The fire was stopped before it could spread.

The occupants were burned out of the home and were making arrangements to stay with neighbors.

“Again, this fire underscores the critical importance of having a working smoke detector in your home,” said Battalion Chief Dave Haworth in a news release.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email