SALT LAKE CITY – A Utah federal judge on Tuesday awarded nearly $2 million to the family of an 11-year-old boy killed by a bear at a campsite in 2007.
The family of Samuel Ives sued the U.S. Forest Service for failing to close the American Fork Canyon campsite in the mountains about 30 miles south of Salt Lake City after the bear attacked another camper.
In his ruling, U.S. District Judge Dale Kimball said the forest service had a “duty” to warn the Ives family of the earlier attack either verbally, by posting signs on a gate leading in the area or by roping off the specific campsite.
The Pleasant Grove boy died on June 17, 2007 – Father’s Day – after a bear ripped through his tent and dragged him away. Ives’ mauled body was found about 400 yards from the campsite.
The bear had caused problems in the same area 12 hours earlier, ripping through another tent and rummaging through coolers. Utah’s Division of Wildlife Resources had dubbed it a level 3 nuisance bear – considered the most dangerous – and crews set out to find it and kill it. The bear was only successfully trapped and killed after Ives’ death.
Kimball said it was “foreseeable” that the bear would return to a campsite where it had earlier attacked campers and found food. The judge also said an off-duty forest service employee was negligent in failing to contact others in the agency that could have determined whether the campsite should be closed.
A forest service employee who discussed campground fees with the family did not tell them about the first attack.