May 20, 2011 in Features

Schwarzenegger will be back – after a delay

Associated Press
 

Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger delayed his Hollywood comeback Thursday as he braced for what could be a costly divorce prompted by revelations that he had an affair and child with a housekeeper who worked for his family for 20 years.

The former “Terminator” star told his talent agency to postpone all his movie projects that are currently under way or being negotiated until further notice, a statement from Schwarzenegger’s office said.

“Gov. Schwarzenegger is focusing on personal matters and is not willing to commit to any production schedules or timelines,” the statement said.

He had been scheduled to begin filming the drama “Cry Macho” this summer and was in negotiations to reprise his popular “Terminator” roles.

New voyage for ‘Titanic’

“Titanic” is coming back to theaters in 3-D.

Paramount Pictures and 20th Century Fox announced Thursday that James Cameron’s Oscar-winning film will be re-released next April 6 to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the Titanic setting sail on April 10.

Cameron says the film was “painstakingly” converted to 3-D and promises “an epic experience.”

“Titanic,” released in 1997, won 11 Academy Awards and grossed more than $1.8 billion worldwide – second only to Cameron’s “Avatar.”

Bay transformed by 3-D

Director Michael Bay showed about 15 minutes of assorted footage from his first 3-D film – “Transformers: Dark of the Moon,” the third installment in the sci-fi franchise inspired by Hasbro’s line of shape-shifting toys – on Wednesday at Paramount Studios.

Though Bay was initially skeptical about the multidimensional medium (“It might be a gimmick,” he said in 2009), he said he “ended up loving it.”

“It was just great to sculpt with space,” he said as part of a discussion with filmmaker James Cameron about the challenges and benefits of 3-D moviemaking. “It just felt right for this movie.”

Cameron helped convince his fellow filmmaker to embrace 3-D technology and employ it in the latest “Transformers” adventure, set for domestic release on July 1.

New day for ‘Knight’

Writer-director Christopher Nolan has called “Action!” on his latest Batman film.

Warner Bros. Pictures says principal photography began this week on “The Dark Knight Rises,” the conclusion to Nolan’s Batman trilogy.

The film will be shot in India, England, Scotland and the American cities of New York, Los Angeles and Pittsburgh.

Christian Bale returns as Bruce Wayne and Batman. Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman are also returning to the cast.

Newcomers for the third installment in the franchise include Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotillard, Tom Hardy and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

“The Dark Knight Rises” is slated for release on July 20, 2012.

BBC’s big expectations

Helena Bonham Carter will star in a new adaptation of Charles Dickens’ “Great Expectations” from director Mike Newell.

BBC Films announced the movie this week at the Cannes Film Festival as part of a slate of upcoming productions.

Others include children’s literature adaptations “Peter Pan in Scarlet” and “Swallows and Amazons.”

Theater director Rufus Norris will make his feature film debut with “Broken,” a modern take on the themes of “To Kill a Mockingbird” adapted from Daniel Clay’s novel.

“Man on Wire” director James Marsh is set to make “Shadow Dancer,” a thriller about Irish Republicanism starring Clive Owen and Gillian Anderson.

“An Education” director Lone Scherfig will make “Music and Silence,” from Rose Tremain’s novel set at the 17th-century Danish court.

© Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email