Featured moments on president’s tour
Highlights of President Barack Obama’s schedule during his trip to Europe. He departs Washington late today.
• Monday: Obama arrives in Ireland for meetings with the Irish president and prime minister. He visits the village of Moneygall, the ancestral homeland of his great-great-great- grandfather. Obama speaks at an evening rally at Dublin’s College Green.
• Tuesday: Obama and first lady Michelle Obama arrive in London for a state visit. The Obamas have lunch with Queen Elizabeth II, the president lays a wreath at Westminster Abbey and in the evening the Obamas attend a banquet at Buckingham Palace.
• Wednesday: Obama meets with British Prime Minister David Cameron and holds a news conference. Obama delivers a major speech to Parliament at the Palace of Westminster.
Michelle Obama brings girls from North London’s Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School on a visit to the University of Oxford to promote the importance of education.
The Obamas host a dinner for the queen at the residence of the U.S. ambassador to Britain.
• Thursday: Obama attends the Group of Eight summit meeting in Deauville, France. Leaders focus on how the world’s top economies can help countries in the Middle East and North Africa that are going through democratic transitions.
Obama meets with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev.
• Friday: Obama attends closing sessions of the G-8 summit and holds meetings with French President Nicolas Sarkozy and Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan before traveling to Warsaw, Poland.
Obama has dinner with leaders of several Central and Eastern European countries.
• Saturday: Obama meets with Poland’s president, Bronislaw Komorowski, and has lunch with the prime minister, Donald Tusk. Obama also visits some cultural sites before returning to Washington.