From our archives, 100 years ago
A 2-year-old boy saw a bottle on a dresser, and thinking it was his 9-month-old sister’s feeding bottle, proceeded to pour 4 ounces of it down her throat.
Unfortunately, it was wood alcohol, a poison. Their mother rushed into the room and found the little girl turning purple.
Police and a doctor showed up and administered emetics. The child was still sick, but the doctor was confident that she would recover.
From the puppy beat: A valuable puppy was the subject of a police search in Spokane.
The dog was captured by the city dog-catcher, but before he could toss the dog into the city pound, a man came up and said the dog was his. It was a valuable “St. Charles puppy” (possibly a King Charles spaniel) and the dog-catcher was reluctant to throw a $200 dog into a kennel with all of the common dogs. So he allowed the man to take the dog.
Later, it became clear that the dog didn’t belong to the man at all. Police issued a warrant and raided the man’s house, where they found the dog – but not the man. They took the dog to police headquarters until the true owner could be found.
Also on this date
(From the Associated Press)
1430: Joan of Arc was captured by the Burgundians, who sold her to the English. … 1934: Bank robbers Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker were shot to death in a police ambush in Bienville Parish, La.