November 12, 2011 in Washington Voices

Tipped over iron ignites basement fire

By The Spokesman-Review
Map of this story's location

Spokane Valley Fire Department crews enjoyed a week of routine calls from Nov. 3-9. The only major call of the week was a basement fire reported in the 10300 block of East Upriver Drive at 1:42 p.m. on Nov. 4.

Crews arrived to find the house full of smoke and used a basement window to spray water on the fire before entering the home. “It was caused by an iron that was left on and tipped over,” said Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford. The home sustained about $80,000 in damage.

Four residents were contacted after burning leaves or trash, which isn’t allowed. There were 169 EMS calls during the week and 15 car accidents that sent four people to the hospital. The first icy road-related rollover crash happened on Nov. 8. “It’s that time of year,” Clifford said. The first snowfall will likely come soon and Clifford said drivers should prepare. “That will increase our car crashes. That always happens.”

There were a total of 210 calls during the week.

Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email