Spokane grew around the rocky falls of the river, but soon after the furious growth of the 1880s and 1890s, Spokane’s footprint began to expand north. As neighborhoods sprang up, so did businesses along corridors like Division and Monroe streets. A building still bearing the name of the King family sits on the southwest corner of Maxwell Avenue and Monroe Street. Joel Barnes King, a Spokane pioneer who settled in Spokane in 1901, owned the grocery store on that corner that started in a simple wooden structure. He and his wife raised their four daughters in a home just around the corner.
– Jesse Tinsley, firstname.lastname@example.org