Reach out and touch a turkey expert
Here’s some old-school help for those inevitable cooking and baking questions that come up during Thanksgiving dinner preparations.
Butterball and several other companies still host hotlines where cooks can call in for live help. If you’d rather look online for answers to common questions, the websites are listed, too.
There’s also plenty of information on social media sites for each company, so don’t forget to check Facebook and Twitter for advice.
• Crisco Pie Hotline: (877) 367-7438
• Butterball Turkey Talk-Line: (800) BUTTERBALL (288-8372), www.butterball.com or via email at talkline@ butterball.com
• Empire Kosher poultry customer hotline: (717) 436-7055 or www.empire kosher.com/
• Fleischmann’s Yeast Baker’s Help Line: (800) 777-4959 or www.breadworld.com/ default.aspx
• Foster Farms Turkey Helpline: (800) 255-7227 or www.fosterfarms.com/ cooking/index.asp
• King Arthur Flour Co.’s Bakers Hotline: (802) 649-3717 or email questions to bakers@ kingarthurflour.com
• Nestle Toll House Baking Information: www.verybest baking.com/ resources.aspx
• Ocean Spray consumer help line: (800) 662-3263 or www.oceanspray.com
• Perdue consumer help line: (800) 473-7383 or www.perdue.com/ tips_from_the_kitchen/
• Reynolds Turkey Tips Hotline: (800) 745-4000 or www.turkey success.com/
• U.S. Department of Agriculture Meat and Poultry Hotline: (888) 674-6854 or www.fsis.usda.gov/ Food_Safety_ Education/index.asp
For those who would rather have an app for smartphone or iPad, here are some applications to consider. Try Epicurious, Mark Bittman’s “How to Cook Everything,” Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food, Fine Cooking, Food Network, Allrecipes or Bon Appetit.
How about some wine with that bird?
Spokane winemakers and wine experts can help complete the holiday spread with a local bottle of wine.
The 19 members of Spokane Winery Association will host Holiday Wine Fest activities from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
There are maps, recommended tour routes and other details online at www.spokane wineries.net. There may be tasting fees.
We’re always looking for fresh food news. Write to: The Fresh Sheet, Features Department, The Spokesman-Review, P.O. Box 2160, Spokane, WA 99210. Call (509) 459-5446, fax to (509) 459-5098 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.