The Whitworth volleyball team made it nine wins in a row and kept its perfect conference record intact with a 23-25, 25-21, 25-23, 25-20 Northwest Conference win over No. 20 Pacific Lutheran Saturday night in Spokane.
The Pirates have won 12 consecutive conference matches dating back to last year.
Kaimi Rocha had a season-high 22 kills, the most she’s had since her 27-kill effort on the same date last year.
Amanda Grumbach added 20 digs and a season-high 17 kills and Bree Riddle passed out 56 assists.
The win gives the Pirates (11-4, 6-0) a two-game advantage over Pacific Lutheran (11-3, 4-2) and Puget Sound (12-2, 4-2) in the NWC standings. Whitworth hosts Whitman at 6 p.m. Wednesday.
• Despite five players with more than 10 kills, Eastern Washington (8-8, 4-2) fell 24-26, 18-25, 25-19, 25-22, 15-12 to Northern Arizona (13-1, 4-1) in a Big Sky Conference match in Cheney.
Shelby Puckett had a team-high 17 kills for the Eagles, who host Idaho at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
• Alaina Bergsman led four Ducks players in double figures with 27 kills and No. 15 Oregon (12-2, 5-1) beat Washington State 25-23, 22-25, 26-24, 25-22 in a Pac-12 match in Pullman.
The Cougars (10-6, 2-4) were led by Meagan Ganzer’s 26 kills and 12 digs. Camryn Irwin had 46 assists for WSU.
Washington State hosts Utah on Friday.
• Santa Clara (7-7, 2-1) kept Gonzaga winless in the West Coast Conference, beating the Bulldogs 25-22, 23-25, 25-23, 25-15 at the Martin Centre in Spokane. Five Broncos tallied double-digit kills.
Redshirt freshman Hannah Deede had a career-high 14 kills and Mengya Wang had a career-high 12 digs to lead the way for Gonzaga (6-9, 0-4).
The Bulldogs play at Saint Mary’s on Thursday and at San Diego on Saturday.
• Allison Walker had her fourth double-double in a row and Idaho (7-9, 2-2) swept Louisiana Tech (8-10, 0-3) 25-17, 25-19, 25-13 in a Western Athletic Conference match in Ruston, La.
Walker had 10 kills and 11 digs and Ashley Christman had a career-high 11 kills.
• Eileen Chatfield and Brigitte Lowe had 11 kills apiece to guide Community Colleges of Spokane to a 3-1 NWAACC win over Treasure Valley (3-12, 2-4) in Ontario, Ore.
Lindsay Bronkhorst added a match-high 14 digs for the Sasquatch (20-4, 5-1), who host Walla Walla on Wednesday.
• Kylin Munoz had 10 kills and Jenna Orlandini had 26 digs as No. 3 Washington (13-1, 5-1) cruised to a 25-16, 25-17, 27-25 Pac-12 win over Oregon State (11-5, 3-3) in Seattle.
Idaho sophomore Hannah Kiser took first place and led the Vandals women to a fifth-place finish at the Dellinger Invitational in Springfield, Ore.
Kiser completed the 5,000-meter race in 16 minutes, 45.71 seconds.
Oregon won the team title, followed by Wisconsin, Oregon State and Portland.
In the men’s race, four Vandals finished in the top 24 and Idaho took fourth place overall.
Idaho’s top finisher was senior Stephane Colle, who took 14th by completing the 8,000-meter course in 24:06.45.
• The Whitworth men took seventh while the women placed 12th in the Cardinal division of the Charles Bowles Invitational at Bush Pasture Park in Salem, Ore. The event was hosted by Willamette University.
Trevor Berrian was Whitworth’s top finisher. Berrian finished the 8,000-meter course in 25:24.47. The top finisher for the Whitworth women, Joy Shufeldt, also took 27th place. She completed the 5,000-meter course in 18:33.11.
The Community Colleges of Spokane men and women took part in the Gold race. Justin Yoke (26:05.78) was the top finisher for the Sasquatch men and Mikel Elliott (18:23.26) led the CCS women.
Carly Schilperoort scored her first two goals of the season to guide Whitworth past Lewis & Clark (1-6-2, 0-4-1) 3-0 in a Northwest Conference contest in Portland.
Jami Hegg put the Pirates ahead early with a goal in the sixth minute. Schilperoort then found the net in the 31st minute and capped the scoring with her second goal in the 68th minute.
Callie Bergstrom secured the shutout with five saves.
Whitworth (3-4-1, 3-2-1) plays Linfield in McMinnville, Ore., at noon today.
Whitworth scored two goals in each half and blanked Willamette (3-4-1, 2-3-0) 4-0 in a Northwest Conference match in Salem, Ore.
Cameron Bushey opened the scoring for the Pirates with a goal in the seventh minute. Taylor Willi, Michael VanDenBerg and Andrew Glass also scored for Whitworth (6-2-1, 4-1-0).
The Pirates play at Linfield today.
• Jach Allert scored two second-half goals to lead Community Colleges of Spokane (3-3-5, 3-0-2) to a 3-0 NWAACC win over Chemeketa (7-2-2, 3-2-0) in Salem, Ore.
Tim Doggett scored the first goal of the match off an assist from Curtis Hill in the 13th minute.
CCS plays Wednesday at Treasure Valley.
Subscribe to the sports newsletter
Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.