Josh Phillips scored off an assist from Clark Phillips in the 95th minute, giving the Gonzaga University men’s soccer team a 3-2 win over visiting Loyola Marymount in a West Coast Conference match Friday afternoon.
The Bulldogs earned their first WCC win while handing the Lions (2-9. 0-3) their ninth straight loss overall.
Greg Carter opened the scoring with a goal in the second minute, but LMU scored the next two goals to take the lead. In the 77th minute, Gonzaga benefited from an own goal that tied the game and send it into overtime.
The Bulldogs (3-6-1, 1-2) play host to San Diego at 1 p.m. Sunday.
• Chandler Hoffman assisted on the first two goals as UCLA (8-3-1, 3-0-0 Pac-12) posted a 4-1 win at Washington (5-2-2, 0-2-0).
Whitworth’s 10-match winning streak came to an end as Northwest Conference foe Lewis & Clark (7-10, 3-4) beat the Pirates in straight sets in Portland. Game scores were 27-25, 25-23, 26-24.
Kaimi Rocha had 16 kills and 15 digs and Bree Riddle handed out 30 assists for Whitworth (12-5, 7-1), which lost for the first time since Sept. 9.
• Washington State started strong then faded late in a 22-25, 25-15, 25-23, 25-16 loss to Utah (7-10, 2-6) in a Pacific-12 Conference match in Pullman.
Meagan Ganzer had a match-high 14 kills and Rachel Todorovich added 13 kills and 11 digs to lead Washington State (10-7, 2-5).
Washington State hosts Colorado at 7 tonight.
• Allison Walker had 16 kills and 12 digs to guide Idaho to a 25-17, 25-14, 25-16 sweep of Utah State (7-11, 2-3) in a Western Athletic Conference match in Moscow.
Jennifer Feicht handed out 40 assists for the Vandals (9-9, 3-2).
• Kylin Munoz had 15 kills to lead No. 3 Washington (14-1, 6-1) to a 25-14, 25-21, 25-20 win over Colorado (5-11, 0-8) in a Pacific-12 Conference match in Seattle.
Jocelyn Jeffers had a goal and an assist to guide Washington State to a 2-0 Pacific-12 win over Utah at Lower Soccer Field in Pullman.
Jeffers’ unassisted goal came in the 12th minute. She later assisted on Brandi Vega’s goal in the 90th minute.
The Utes (7-5-1, 3-1) outshot the Cougars 14-11 but couldn’t capitalize.
WSU (9-4-1, 3-1) hosts Colorado at noon Sunday.
• Idaho secured its first Western Athletic Conference victory of the season with a 4-2 win over Hawaii (3-9-0, 2-1) at Guy Wicks Field in Moscow.
The Vandals got first-half goals from Lilly Archer and Chelsie Breen. Idaho’s Bailey Hewitt and Katie Baran scored in the second half to put the game away. Jill Flockhart assisted on the Vandals’ final two goals.
Idaho (5-8-2, 1-2) will play at New Mexico State on Friday.
• Sarah Rhodes scored for Gonzaga, but Saint Mary’s scored late as the Bulldogs and Gaels played to a 1-1 tie in a West Coast Conference opener in Moraga, Calif.
Rhodes’ goal came off an assist from Emily Hutchins in the 66th minute. Saint Mary’s (9-2-2, 0-0-1) tied the game in the 81st minute with a header.
Gonzaga (7-4-1, 0-0-1) plays Loyola Marymount in Los Angeles on Sunday.
• Aubree Mercier scored two goals and North Idaho scored five times in the second half to beat Western Wyoming 7-0 at Eisenwinter Field in Coeur d’Alene.
With the win, the Cardinals remained perfect on the season at 11-0.
Anna Valentine, Hayley Smith, Alaina Webb, Callie Martin and Adrienne Moore also scored for NIC, which hosts Gonzaga’s club team at noon Sunday.
• Kala Renard’s goal in the 76th minute proved to be the difference as Portland State edged Eastern Washington 1-0 in a Big Sky Conference match in Cheney.
The Eagles failed to convert on their limited opportunities and fell to 1-9 overall and 0-2 in the BSC. Portland State improved to 6-6 and 2-0.
EWU will look for its first conference win on Sunday at home against Sacramento State.
• Sarah Martinez scored twice in the second half to guide Washington (4-6-2, 1-2-1) to a 2-1 Pacific-12 win over Colorado (3-7-2, 0-3-1) in Seattle.