Down 2-0 with 13 minutes left in regulation, the Gonzaga men’s soccer team stormed back for a 3-2 double-overtime victory over San Diego in West Coast Conference play Sunday in Spokane.
Clark Phillips scored the Bulldogs’ first two goals to even the score, then assisted on Nathanael Pacheco’s match-winner in the 102nd minute.
On Friday, Phillips also assisted on the winning goal as Gonzaga rallied from a 2-1 deficit against Loyola Marymount with 14 minutes to play to win 3-2 in overtime. The Bulldogs won back-to-back overtime matches for the first time in their history.
Gonzaga hosts Portland on Wednesday.
• Jacob Hustedt scored the winning goal on a penalty kick in the 87th minute as Washington upset No. 18 San Diego State 3-2 in Pac-12 play in Seattle. Brent Richards and Casey McCool also scored for the Huskies (6-3-2, 1-2-0 Pac-12), who visit Stanford on Friday.
• Keifer Lee scored twice as North Idaho College beat Gonzaga University’s club team 2-1 in Coeur d’Alene. Justin Johnson made six saves for the Cardinals.
Jocelyn Jeffers scored two goals to help Washington State’s women’s soccer team complete a weekend sweep of Pac-12 opponents with a 4-0 win over Colorado in Pullman.
Brandi Vega and Tiara Pittman also scored for the Cougars (10-4-1, 4-1-0 Pac-12), who beat Utah on Friday.
WSU finishes its regular-season home schedule Friday against UCLA.
• Gonzaga registered its second double-overtime tie of the weekend, playing to a scoreless draw with Loyola Marymount in West Coast Conference play in Los Angeles.
The Bulldogs (7-4-2, 0-0-2 WCC), who recorded their seventh shutout of the season, got three saves from keeper Susan Brown.
Gonzaga hosts San Francisco on Thursday.
• Chloe Cook, Sarah Berentson and Jackie Day scored for Whitworth in its 3-1 Northwest Conference victory over Willamette in Spokane. The Pirates travel to Tacoma this weekend to face conference foes Pacific Lutheran and Puget Sound.
• Jordan Carlberg scored the only goal of the game in the second half to give Sacramento State a 1-0 victory over Eastern Washington in Big Sky Conference play in Cheney. The Eagles (1-10, 0-3 Big Sky) visit Idaho State on Thursday.
• Sarah Martinez scored and recorded two assists as Washington beat Utah 4-0 in a Pac-12 match in Seattle. Jaclyn Softli, Kate Deines and Hillary Zevenbergen also scored for the Huskies (6-5-3, 2-2-1 Pac-12), who host USC on Friday.
• North Idaho College and Gonzaga University’s club team played to a scoreless draw in Coeur d’Alene.
Gonzaga’s Peter Gullickson and Travis Johnson both finished tied for 20th place and the Bulldogs shot a final-round 296 for its best day of the tournament at the Brickyard Collegiate Championship in Macon, Ga.
GU finished in 14th place, shooting a 912 as a team during the three-round event. Gullickson shot a 2-under 70 on Sunday to finish at 219, and Johnsen shot an even-par 72.
Georgia Tech won the team title at 848, and Florida State’s Brooks Koepka was medalist at 205.
A GRIP ON SPORTS • A weekend in late July. It’s more than 90 degrees outside. Is this the proverbial “dog days of summer?” Read on.
I scratched another back yard honey-do off my list this weekend already by finishing another one of those projects that had been on the waiting list for years. It involved ...
Today marks my 25th anniversary with The Spokesman-Review. Though things have changed quite a bit since I joined the newspaper as its Idaho editor in 1991, we’re still in the ...
UPDATE 4:45 p.m. Quote from Dan Foster, Lake Roosevelt National Recreation Area superintendent: "We are working with the Washington Department of Health, our region, and national staff to understand the ...
sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.