After a rocky first set, Eastern Washington settled down and beat Weber State 18-25, 25-13, 25-15, 25-10 in a Big Sky Conference volleyball match Saturday in Ogden, Utah.
Ashley Wright led a balanced attack for the Eagles (10-11, 6-4) with 10 kills. Cora Kellerman had eight kills and 13 digs and Lindsey Petroni chipped in a match-high 18 digs.
Bethany Wray led Weber State (1-21, 1-9) with 14 kills.
The win was EWU’s second in a row after a five-match losing streak.
The Eagles will host Montana on Friday and Montana State on Saturday. Both matches start at 7 p.m.
• Dre Shaw had 22 kills and 10 digs as Oregon State came from behind to beat Washington State 23-25, 25-17, 23-25, 25-18, 15-7 in a Pac-12 Conference match in Corvallis, Ore.
The win snapped the Beavers’ seven-game losing streak.
Meagan Ganzer posted a match-high 24 kills, Rachel Todorovich had 13 and Shawn Lee added 21 digs to lead the Cougars.
The loss evened Washington State’s overall record at 11-11. The Cougars are 3-9 in conference matches.
WSU hosts Arizona on Thursday and Arizona State on Friday.
• Portland denied Gonzaga its second West Coast Conference win with a 25-13, 18-25, 25-22, 22-25, 15-10 victory over the Bulldogs in Portland.
Terran Poindexter had a match-high 16 kills to lead the Bulldogs (7-13, 1-8), who beat Portland (8-14, 2-7) in a five-set thriller on Oct. 13.
Meredith Crenshaw had 15 kills and Denise Van De Mortel handed out 51 assists for GU.
Autumn Wedan led four Pilots in double figures with 15 kills.
Next up for Gonzaga is a match at Pepperdine on Thursday.
• Yang Yang had 14 kills and six blocks to lead North Idaho to a 19-25, 25-19, 25-17, 25-16 Scenic West Athletic Conference win over host Southern Idaho at Twin Falls.
Janele Vogt added 13 kills for the Cardinals (20-7, 7-1), who swept the season series from the Golden Eagles (17-9, 5-3). The win was NIC’s ninth in a row.
• Alaina Bergsma had 20 kills as No. 18 Oregon (14-6, 7-5) upset No. 7 Washington (16-4, 8-4) 27-25, 30-28, 25-18 in a Pac-12 Conference match in Eugene, Ore.
Mackenzie Grow’s 43rd minute goal broke a 1-1 tie and gave Whitworth a 2-1 Northwest Conference win over George Fox (2-9-4, 2-7-2) in Spokane.
Carly Schilperoort opened the scoring for the Pirates (7-4-3, 7-2-3) with a goal in the 10th minute. George Fox’s Cassady Gardner tied it at 1 in the 29th minute before Grow’s winning goal.
Jamie Hegg assisted on both of Whitworth’s goals.
The Pirates host Pacific at noon today.
• Dee Dee Garbe and Alli Floyd scored second-half goals as Community Colleges of Spokane blanked Columbia Basin (8-4-1, 6-4-1) 2-0 in an NWAACC Conference match in Pasco.
Goalkeeper Asia Porter recorded the shutout for the Sasquatch.
CCS improved to 13-2 overall and 10-1 in the conference standings, still one game behind Walla Walla.
The Sasquatch host Treasure Valley on Wednesday.
• Carissa Christensen and Aubree Mercier scored goals to lead North Idaho to a 2-0 win over Gonzaga’s club team in Spokane.
Christensen’s goal came in the 32nd minute and Mercier capped the scoring in the 83rd minute.
The Cardinals will play in Moscow against Idaho’s club team on Saturday.
Robby Ubben scored two goals to power Whitworth past George Fox 4-1 in a Northwest Conference match in Spokane.
Taylor Willi and Andrew French also scored for the Pirates.
With the win, Whitworth improved to 10-3-1 overall and 8-2 in the NWC.
The Pirates host Pacific at 2:30 p.m. today.
• Columbia Basin scored twice in the first half and held on to beat Community Colleges of Spokane 2-1 in an NWAACC Conference match in Pasco.
CCS’ Zach Allert scored an unassisted goal in the 82nd minute for the Sasquatch.
CCS fell to 5-5-6 overall and 5-2-2 in the conference.
The Sasquatch host Treasure Valley on Wednesday.
The Gonzaga men’s rowing program won all five races against Washington State on the Spokane River.
The Bulldogs’ varsity 8-plus team had the only sub-16 minute finish of the event, completing the 5,000-meter course in 15 minutes, 57 seconds. The Cougars’ varsity 8-plus team came in second in 16:23.
In the fourth flight, the Gonzaga third varsity 8-plus finished in 16:37, 54 seconds faster than WSU’s third varsity 8-plus team.
Next up for Gonzaga is the Portland Fall Classic next Sunday.
Preseason All-Western Athletic Conference selection Kyle Barone had 25 points and nine rebounds in the University of Idaho’s Black and Gold Scrimmage in Moscow, Idaho.
Barone, a junior center, made 11 of 14 shots.
Senior guard Deremy Geiger made 5 of 7 from beyond the arc and finished with 19 points.
Dennis titled this "The Theory of the Movement of Humans Through a Semi-Permeable Membrane, or, Osmosis: An Aquifer Indicted." "Because the Spokane Aquifer is directly beneath this whole valley, with ...
Gonzaga hammered Portland 92-66 on Thursday as three Zags with Portland ties -- Kyle Wiltjer, Domantas Sabonis and Silas Melson -- combined for 51 points and 20 rebounds. My unedited ...
The nuns of Spokane have been Franciscans, Dominicans, Sisters of the Good Shepherd and the Holy Names and several other orders and their works and presence has been powerful in ...
During the last two days, I've made trips after work to my bank and Costco. At the bank, I'm greeted by tellers as I walk in who later ask, "How's ...