Bailey Hewitt scored a goal in the 81st minute and the Idaho Vandals (7-9-3, 3-3-1) clinched a spot in the Western Athletic Conference postseason tournament with a 2-1 victory over the Nevada Wolf Pack (3-14, 1-4) in women’s soccer action in Moscow, Idaho, on Sunday.
Chelsea Small staked the Vandals to a 1-0 lead in the 37th minute. Nevada pulled even on a long free-kick goal by Danielle Green in the 69th minute.
The win gives the Vandals 10 points in the WAC standings and means they can finish no worse than sixth place.
• Achijah Berry found the net in the 25th minute and goalkeeper Abby Steele made it stand up with five saves as the Oregon Ducks (8-7-2, 3-4-1) notched a 1-0 victory over the 18th-ranked Washington State Cougars (10-6-2, 4-3-1) in Pacific-12 Conference play in Eugene, Ore.
It was the first time the Ducks defeated the Cougars at home.
• Meleana Shim, Bridgett Miller, and Cate Parchinski all scored first-half goals and the 12th-ranked Santa Clara Broncos (11-1-5, 4-0-1) rolled to a 4-1 win over the Gonzaga Bulldogs (7-8-2, 0-4-2) in West Coast Conference play at the Gonzaga Soccer Field.
Emma Dolcetti scored in the 26th minute for GU. It was her fifth goal of the season.
• Britney Oljar scored a pair of unassisted goals to spark the 23rd-ranked Oregon State Beavers (12-4-1) to a 4-1 victory over the Washington Huskies (6-7-4) in Pacific-12 Conference action in Corvallis, Ore.
Sarah Martinez’s seventh goal of the season came in the 66th minute for the Huskies’ lone tally.
• The Whitworth Pirates (7-4-3, 7-2-3) and visiting Pacific Boxers (8-5-3, 5-4-3) played to a 0-0 tie in Northwest Conference play.
Whits keeper Callie Bergstrom had two saves in notching the shutout.
• Sam Monahan found the net in the 28th minute and Northern Arizona (3-9-7, 2-2-3) scored twice late to post a 3-0 victory over the Eastern Washington Eagles (2-12-1, 1-5-1) in Big Sky Conference action in Flagstaff, Ariz.
Brent Richards scored on a penalty kick in the 75th minute to lift the 23rd-ranked Washington Huskies (10-3-2, 5-2) to a 1-0 win over the California Golden Bears (3-7-4, 0-5-2) in Pac-12 play in Seattle.
Richards’ goal was his 10th of the season. Keeper Spencer Richey made four saves to preserve the shutout.
• The Whitworth Pirates (11-3-1, 9-2) scored four times in a 20-minute span of the first half – the last two goals coming off the foot of Sam Selisch – and breezed to a 4-0 victory over the visiting Pacific Boxers (4-10-1, 4-6-1) in Northwest Conference play.
Nate Spangler staked the Whits to a 1-0 lead at 11:45 and Cameron Bushey stretched it to 2-0 at 16:51. Selisch’s goals came in the 27th and 31st minutes.
The Whitworth Pirates men placed fourth and the women fifth at the Northwest Conference Fall Classic at Heron Lakes Golf Club in Portland.
Jesse Salzwedel shot a 3-under-par 69 on the final day and tied for fourth with a 148 total to lead the Pirates men.
Emily Guthrie finished in seventh place with a 160 total to pace the Whit women.
Puget Sound won the men’s tourney, while PLU’s Dustin Hegge (144) was medalist. George Fox topped the women’s field.
Idaho Vandals’ Andrew Dobbs and Marius Cirstea won the men’s doubles championship at the ITA Mountain Region in Las Vegas with an 8-5 win over the top-ranked doubles team of Phil Anderson and Jadon Phillips of New Mexico.
The unseeded Vandals duo upset the top two seeded pairings en route to the title. Dobbs and Cirstea earned a spot in the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y., Nov. 3-6.