The Montana volleyball team must hate coming to Cheney.
Led by Cora Kellerman and Shelby Puckett, Eastern Washington beat the Grizzlies in five sets in a Big Sky Conference match Friday at Reese Court. Game scores were 22-25, 25-20, 25-20, 14-25, 15-8.
The win was the 16th straight for the Eagles over the Grizzlies in Cheney.
Kellerman had a career-high 25 kills and added 11 digs. Puckett had 14 kills and 17 digs.
The Eagles (11-11, 7-5 Big Sky) beat the Grizzlies (8-11, 5-6) in five sets in their first meeting on Sept. 24, giving them a season sweep of their rivals.
• Amanda Grumbach had 12 kills and 19 digs to guide No. 24 Whitworth to a three-set win over No. 23 Puget Sound, 25-22, 26-24, 25-16, in a Northwest Conference match in Tacoma.
Kristine Kardell added 10 kills for the Pirates, who improved to 17-5 overall and 12-1 in the NWC. Puget Sound fell to 16-5 and 8-5.
• Courtney Karst led four Arizona (14-8, 6-7 Pac-12) players in double figures with 15 kills as the Wildcats edged Washington State 26-24, 19-25, 25-20, 25-15 in a Pac-12 Conference match in Pullman.
Meagan Ganzer tallied a match-high 23 kills and added 11 digs for the Cougars (11-12, 3-10), who play host to Arizona State tonight.
• Allison Reed had 12 kills and Joni Nagy added 24 assists, nine digs and five kills as Community Colleges of Spokane cruised to a 25-21, 25-13, 25-17 NWAACC win over Treasure Valley at Spokane Falls Community College.
CCS, which had already secured a playoff berth, improved to 29-5 overall and 10-1 in the conference. The Sasquatch play Columbia Basin College in Pasco on Wednesday.
• North Idaho’s nine-match winning streak came to a halt as Eastern Utah (6-19, 3-6 SWAC) swept the Cardinals 25-19, 27-25, 25-22 in a Scenic West Athletic Conference contest in Price, Utah.
The Cardinals (20-8, 7-2) were led by Yang Yang’s 15 kills and four blocks. NIC has one regular season match remaining – tonight at Colorado Northwestern – before the Region 18 tournament.
• Krista Vansant had 14 kills and 11 digs as Washington (17-4, 9-4 Pac-12) narrowly avoided an upset with a 25-20, 22-25, 25-14, 22-25, 15-13 Pac-12 Conference win over Arizona State (5-17, 1-12) in Seattle.
Jocelyn Jeffers goal in the 108th minute gave Washington State (11-6-2, 5-3-1 Pac-12) a 2-1 overtime win over Arizona State (6-11, 2-7) in a Pac-12 Conference match in Tempe, Ariz.
Delaney Zalud assisted on Jeffers’ winner. Tiara Pittman scored WSU’s other goal in the 52nd minute.
• Jaclyn Softli scored two goals to power Washington (7-7-4, 3-4-2 Pac-12) to a 4-0 shutout of Arizona (1-14-2, 1-7-1) in a Pac-12 match in Tucson, Ariz.
Joe Sofia scored in the 70th minute, giving UCLA (11-4-1, 6-0 Pac-12) a 1-0 victory over Washington (10-4-2, 5-3) in a Pac-12 Conference match in Los Angeles.
North Idaho won six of the 10 matches and beat Great Falls 26-14 in Coeur d’Alene.
At 174 pounds, NIC’s Kyle Sweedman earned the only pin of the contest, taking down Great Falls’ Noah Hatton in 3 minutes, 18 seconds.
Northwest Christian’s Austin Friedly scored twice in the first half, but St. George’s responded in the second half and beat the Crusaders 3-2 in a shootout in the District 7 2B/1B championship game at St. George’s.
Nathan Furbeyre scored in the 50th minute for the Dragons and Ryan Schulte tied it with a goal in the 78th minute.
St. George’s earned District 7’s top seed to the District 7/9 tournament and will host the No. 2 seed out of District 9 on Wednesday. Northwest Christian – the District 7 No. 2 seed – will play at District 9’s top seed on Wednesday.