The Montana volleyball team must hate coming to Cheney.
Led by Cora Kellerman and Shelby Puckett, Eastern Washington beat the Grizzlies in five sets in a Big Sky Conference match Friday at Reese Court. Game scores were 22-25, 25-20, 25-20, 14-25, 15-8.
The win was the 16th straight for the Eagles over the Grizzlies in Cheney.
Kellerman had a career-high 25 kills and added 11 digs. Puckett had 14 kills and 17 digs.
The Eagles (11-11, 7-5 Big Sky) beat the Grizzlies (8-11, 5-6) in five sets in their first meeting on Sept. 24, giving them a season sweep of their rivals.
• Amanda Grumbach had 12 kills and 19 digs to guide No. 24 Whitworth to a three-set win over No. 23 Puget Sound, 25-22, 26-24, 25-16, in a Northwest Conference match in Tacoma.
Kristine Kardell added 10 kills for the Pirates, who improved to 17-5 overall and 12-1 in the NWC. Puget Sound fell to 16-5 and 8-5.
• Courtney Karst led four Arizona (14-8, 6-7 Pac-12) players in double figures with 15 kills as the Wildcats edged Washington State 26-24, 19-25, 25-20, 25-15 in a Pac-12 Conference match in Pullman.
Meagan Ganzer tallied a match-high 23 kills and added 11 digs for the Cougars (11-12, 3-10), who play host to Arizona State tonight.
• Allison Reed had 12 kills and Joni Nagy added 24 assists, nine digs and five kills as Community Colleges of Spokane cruised to a 25-21, 25-13, 25-17 NWAACC win over Treasure Valley at Spokane Falls Community College.
CCS, which had already secured a playoff berth, improved to 29-5 overall and 10-1 in the conference. The Sasquatch play Columbia Basin College in Pasco on Wednesday.
• North Idaho’s nine-match winning streak came to a halt as Eastern Utah (6-19, 3-6 SWAC) swept the Cardinals 25-19, 27-25, 25-22 in a Scenic West Athletic Conference contest in Price, Utah.
The Cardinals (20-8, 7-2) were led by Yang Yang’s 15 kills and four blocks. NIC has one regular season match remaining – tonight at Colorado Northwestern – before the Region 18 tournament.
• Krista Vansant had 14 kills and 11 digs as Washington (17-4, 9-4 Pac-12) narrowly avoided an upset with a 25-20, 22-25, 25-14, 22-25, 15-13 Pac-12 Conference win over Arizona State (5-17, 1-12) in Seattle.
Jocelyn Jeffers goal in the 108th minute gave Washington State (11-6-2, 5-3-1 Pac-12) a 2-1 overtime win over Arizona State (6-11, 2-7) in a Pac-12 Conference match in Tempe, Ariz.
Delaney Zalud assisted on Jeffers’ winner. Tiara Pittman scored WSU’s other goal in the 52nd minute.
• Jaclyn Softli scored two goals to power Washington (7-7-4, 3-4-2 Pac-12) to a 4-0 shutout of Arizona (1-14-2, 1-7-1) in a Pac-12 match in Tucson, Ariz.
Joe Sofia scored in the 70th minute, giving UCLA (11-4-1, 6-0 Pac-12) a 1-0 victory over Washington (10-4-2, 5-3) in a Pac-12 Conference match in Los Angeles.
North Idaho won six of the 10 matches and beat Great Falls 26-14 in Coeur d’Alene.
At 174 pounds, NIC’s Kyle Sweedman earned the only pin of the contest, taking down Great Falls’ Noah Hatton in 3 minutes, 18 seconds.
Northwest Christian’s Austin Friedly scored twice in the first half, but St. George’s responded in the second half and beat the Crusaders 3-2 in a shootout in the District 7 2B/1B championship game at St. George’s.
Nathan Furbeyre scored in the 50th minute for the Dragons and Ryan Schulte tied it with a goal in the 78th minute.
St. George’s earned District 7’s top seed to the District 7/9 tournament and will host the No. 2 seed out of District 9 on Wednesday. Northwest Christian – the District 7 No. 2 seed – will play at District 9’s top seed on Wednesday.
Huckleberries hears ... that Brent Regan, the chairman of the Idaho Freedom Foundation, was elected as chairman of the Kootenai County GOP Central Committee this evening on a vote of ...
In terms of numbers, Hillary Clinton’s victory over Bernie Sanders in the Washington Presidential Primary was pretty decisive. In terms of impact, it may be less so. With 53 percent ...
Washington State's nonconference schedule in men's basketball for the 2016-17 season features some new tests for the Cougars, who will play just one repeat opponent from last season. Of course ...
More than 200 wildland firefighters have been mobilized by the National Interagency Fire Center to help fight the Fort McMurray fire in Canada, which five of the crews flying on ...