Commemorative 9/11 events slated
A number of Sept. 11 memorial events are planned in the Inland Northwest. All of the following events will take place on Sunday, Sept. 11:
• The George Nethercutt Foundation is organizing “An Hour of Remembrance” at 7 p.m. in the INB Performing Arts Center, 334 W. Spokane Falls Blvd. Admission is free, and attendees are encouraged to bring a hand-held flag. The event will include a color guard, musical performances, a moment of silence and an audience singalong. For more information, call (509) 995-6016.
• The Spokane Valley Fire Department will place a 1,200-pound column from the World Trade Center in the department’s new administration building, which is under construction at 2120 N. Wilbur Road. The column was presented to the department by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. Posting of the colors will begin at 6:40 a.m. For information, call (509) 928-1700.
• Kootenai County Fire and Rescue will dedicate the organization’s new training facility at 3:30 p.m. at 5271 E. Seltice Way, Post Falls. The 10-acre campus includes a training tower, specialized props, 300-seat classroom and other buildings. For information, call Shaena Dunn, (208) 676-8739 ext. 125.
• The Coeur d’Alene police and fire departments and branches of the military will commemorate the anniversary with a ceremony at Fallen Heroes Plaza, 1500 N. 15th St. in Coeur d’Alene, from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., followed by an emergency and armed services open house until 5 p.m. For information contact the Coeur d’Alene Fire Department at (208) 769-2245.
• Two free performances of “The Guys” will be presented at the Coeur d’Alene Public Library, 702 E. Front Ave., at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. “The Guys” is a memorial to “the shattered psyche of post-Sept. 11 New York,” told through the eyes of a fire captain and a journalist, and is presented by the Bombay Cat Theatre Project. Call (208) 769-2315 ext. 426 for information.
• Mt. Spokane is the site of a “vortex ceremony and drumming spiritual event” organized by Debra Peterson. Participants should meet at Yoke’s grocery store at 14202 N. Market St. by noon to carpool to Mt. Spokane. Entering the park requires a Discovery Pass sticker for every vehicle; they can be purchased for $10. Bring an item to share for a potluck lunch after the ceremony. Call Peterson at (509) 276-4028 for information.
• A Patriot’s Day Memorial Ceremony will be held at 1:30 p.m. during the Spokane County Interstate Fair. The march includes a bell ceremony and 21-gun salute, and concludes in the Grandstand Arena. Local fire and police departments will take part, as well as the Spokane County Pipe and Drum Band. In addition, all police, fire and military personnel will receive free admission to the fair on Sept. 11 with proper identification. For information, call (509) 477-2770.
If you have other events you’d like us to list, email them to email@example.com.