WASHINGTON — The Pentagon said today that it is raising the security level at military bases nationwide because of the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
The White House said that there have been no specific, credible threats of a terrorist attack tied to the anniversary and that the Obama administration will remain vigilant through the anniversary and beyond.
President Barack Obama held a meeting Tuesday in the White House Situation Room with senior members of his homeland security team to ensure that all necessary measures and precautions are being taken in advance of the 9/11 anniversary, said spokesman Jay Carney.
Pentagon spokesman George Little said Wednesday that the boost in the so-called “force protection” level at U.S. military bases also was not due to any specific or credible information about any threat or planned attack.
He said it was due, instead, to the fact that al-Qaida has previously focused on anniversaries. Little also noted that materials seized at the compound where Osama bin Laden was killed in May mentioned the 9/11 anniversary.