September 12, 2011 in City

Battery charger caused Five Mile fire

 

A fire early this morning at a Five Mile-area home was caused by a vehicle battery charger in the garage, Spokane Fire Department investigators have determined.

“The fire’s intensity was aided by nearby contents and natural fire spread while going unnoticed for a lengthy period of time,” according to a department news release.

The fire caused more than $750,000 damage, it said.

Fire crews responded to reports of a garage fire shortly after midnight at 8117 N. Meghan St. and found the garage aflame, as well as three cars in the driveway, an earlier news release said.

Three people who were asleep inside the home had escaped unharmed by the time firefighters arrived. The fire spread into the house, eventually destroying most of the roof, the release said. Five vehicles were destroyed and the entire house had extensive smoke and water damage.

The Red Cross is assisting the family.


There are two comments on this story. Click here to view comments >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email