EWU wins Big Sky volleyball opener
The Eastern Washington University volleyball team added to winless Weber State’s misery with a 25-16, 25-18, 25-22 Big Sky Conference win over the Wildcats Friday night at Reese Court in Cheney.
The match was both teams’ conference opener.
Shelby Puckett had 13 kills and six digs and Cora Kellerman added 12 kills and seven digs to guide EWU (5-6, 1-0). Weber State fell to 0-11 overall.
The Eagles host conference foe Idaho State tonight at 7 in Cheney.
• Sixth-ranked UCLA (9-1, 2-0) swept Washington State 25-12, 25-19, 25-21 in the Cougars’ Pac-12 Conference opener at Bohler Gym in Pullman.
Meagan Ganzer and Jaicee Harris had six kills apiece and Camryn Irwin dished out 22 assists to lead WSU (8-3, 0-1).
The Cougars will look for their first conference win tonight at home against No. 13 Southern California at 7.
• Sara Shaw and Katie Fuller had 15 kills apiece as Southern California (6-3, 1-1) upset No. 4 Washington 25-20, 28-26, 25-20 in the Huskies’ (8-1, 0-1) Pac-12 Conference opener in Seattle.
• Haleigh Hampton had a team-high 13 kills and eight blocks to lead No. 24 Long Beach State (6-4) to a 25-18, 31-29, 25-12 nonconference win over Idaho in Long Beach, Calif.
Alicia Milo had a match-high 14 kills and Jennifer Feicht passed out 26 assists for the Vandals, who fell to 4-7.
Idaho will wrap up the nonconference portion of its schedule tonight against UC Irvine at 7 in Irvine, Calif.
• Whitworth opened Northwest Conference play with a 25-21, 25-13, 19-25, 25-17 win over George Fox (5-5, 0-1) at Whitworth Fieldhouse.
Kaimi Rocha led the Pirates with 14 kills and 13 digs.
Whitworth (6-4, 1-0) is host to Pacific (Ore.) today at 5 p.m.
• North Idaho (9-6) defeated Miami Dade 25-15, 25-18, 25-21 at the Starr Corporation Invitational in Twin Falls, Idaho. The Cardinals earlier lost to Salt Lake.
Freshman Cassie Black scored two goals to lead Eastern Washington to a 4-0 win over Evergreen State College (2-3) in Cheney.
The win was the Eagles’ first of the season.
Black opened the scoring with an unassisted goal in the eighth minute.
Black then put EWU ahead 2-0 with a goal off an assist from Siara Byers in the 24th minute.
Eastern Washington (1-6) will look for its second win Sunday in Moscow against Idaho. Game time is 4 p.m.
• Demi Wignot scored two goals to lead North Idaho College to a 4-1 win over Northwest College in Coeur d’Alene.
The Cardinals (5-0) will host the University of Idaho club team Sunday at noon.
Adrian Eticerio scored two goals to power Northwest College past North Idaho College 4-1 in Coeur d’Alene.
Chad Ward scored the Cardinals’ lone goal in the 83rd minute.
The Cardinals will host the University of Idaho club team Sunday at 2:30 p.m.
Mitch Fowler and Alex Marmon scored two goals apiece, but the Spokane Braves fell 6-5 at Princeton. Spokane scored three third-period goals to close the scoring gap in the Braves’ KIJHL opener.
Annie Arnzen had a team-high 21 assists, five aces and six digs to power Mt. Spokane to a 25-17, 25-19, 26-24 victory in the teams’ Greater Spokane League opener at Shadle Park.