After dropping the first two sets, a team seeking its first conference win might just fold over. Not so for the Washington State volleyball team.
The Cougars regrouped and edged Arizona State in five games at Tempe, Ariz. – 18-25, 24-26, 25-23, 25-19, 15-13 – for their first win in the Pac-12 Conference.
Meagan Ganzer led the way for WSU. Ganzer had a game-high 30 kills and added 11 digs. Rachel Todorovich had 11 digs and Camryn Irwin handed out 54 assists.
WSU, which plays at Arizona on Sunday, improved to 9-4 overall and 1-2 in the Pac-12. The Sun Devils fell to 4-8 and 0-3.
• Eastern Washington kept its perfect conference record intact with a 25-22, 20-25, 25-20, 17-25, 15-7 win over Montana State in a Big Sky Conference match in Bozeman.
EWU’s Ashley Wright had a career-high 14 kills and added four aces, six digs and a block.
The Eagles (7-6, 3-0) play at Montana today.
• Kaimi Rocha had 12 kills and 11 digs to lead Whitworth to a 25-20, 25-20, 25-21 win over Linfield in a Northwest Conference match in Spokane.
With the win, the Pirates (8-4, 3-0) took over sole possession of first place in the NWC.
Ka’ipo Rocha had eight kills and three blocks and Amanda Grumbach added six kills and a team-high 13 digs.
Whitworth takes on conference foe Willamette today.
• Krista Vansant had 13 kills and 11 digs to guide No. 4 Washington to a 27-25, 25-18, 25-10 sweep of Arizona in a Pac-12 Conference match in Tucson, Ariz.
Jenna Orlandini had 17 digs and Evan Sanders dished out 34 assists for the Huskies.
Washington improved to 10-1 overall and 2-1 in the Pac-12. The Wildcats fell to 9-3 and 1-2 in conference play.
• No. 7 Salt Lake fought back after dropping the first two sets and edged No. 13 North Idaho 22-25, 15-25, 25-17, 26-24, 15-10 at Salt Lake City.
The Cardinals fell to 11-7 on the season.
After a close first half, Cal State Bakersfield scored three second-half goals and coasted to a 4-1 win over Gonzaga in the opening match of the Stephen Hensor/Joe Zaher Nike Classic in Corvallis, Ore.
Greg Carter scored an unassisted goal in the 86th minute for the Bulldogs’ lone score.
Gyasi Zardes scored the first three goals for Cal State Bakersfield, which outshot Gonzaga 26-6.
GU fell to 2-4 and Cal State Bakersfield improved to 3-0-3.
The Bulldogs will face UMKC today at 11 a.m. in their final match of the tournament.
• The Community Colleges of Spokane and Clark played to a 1-1 draw in an NWAACC match at SFCC.
Tim Doggett scored off an assist from Isaac Peters in the 25th minute for CCS, but Clark responded in the 66th minute to knot the game at 1.
The Sasquatch (1-3-4) will host Pierce in a conference match at 2 p.m. today.
• North Idaho benefited from an own goal in the first half but couldn’t capitalize in a 4-2 loss to Western Wyoming in Rock Springs, Wyo.
A Western Wyoming defender shanked a clearance into his own net in the 16th minute, giving the Cardinals their first goal.
Michael Letpich scored in the 75th minute for NIC’s second goal.
The Cardinals (3-3-1) play Western Nebraska at 1 p.m. Sunday, also in Rock Springs, Wyo.
Cricket Harber had a goal and an assist to guide Gonzaga to a 3-0 win over Idaho (3-6-2) in a nonconference match in Spokane.
Harber scored in the 13th minute and assisted on Ali Ohashi’s goal in the 19th minute.
Gonzaga’s Tori Lee scored in the 75th minute to cap the scoring.
Next up for the Bulldogs (5-4) is a match at Seattle University Friday at 4 p.m.
• Julie Johnston’s unassisted goal in the 78th minute proved to be the difference as Santa Clara slid past Washington State 1-0 in a nonconference game in Santa Clara, Calif.
The Cougars had just two shots on goal. WSU fell to 6-3-1 and Santa Clara improved to 4-1-4.
• Chelsea Stewart scored in the 78th minute to lead UCLA (8-0-1) to a 1-0 win over Washington (3-4-2) in Los Angeles.
• Dee Dee Garbe and Ali Floyd each scored to lead the Community Colleges of Spokane to a 2-1 win over Clark in an NWAACC match at SFCC.
Garbe’s goal came in the 12th minute and Floyd scored in the 47th.
The Sasquatch remained undefeated at 6-0, 3-0 in conference play.
CCS will host conference foe Clackamas at noon today.
• Aubree Mercier and Carissa Christensen each scored three goals as North Idaho walloped Western Wyoming 7-2 in Rock Springs, Wyo.
All three of Christensen’s goals came in the first half. Hayley Smith also scored for the Cardinals, who improved their perfect record to 8-0.
North Idaho will stay in Rock Springs and play Western Nebraska on Sunday.
The Spokane Shock signed wide receiver Adron Tennell. Tennell is the third player from last year’s team to return.
During his rookie season last year, Tennell had 42 receptions for 469 yards and 13 touchdowns in six games.
Beaver Valley defeated the Spokane Braves 7-2 in a KIJHL game at Eagles Ice-A-Rena.
Matt Thurston and Thomas McNevin scored for the Braves.