17th Avenue home badly damaged in fire
A South Hill residence was significantly damaged by fire Sunday morning.
Occupants of the home at 3111 E. 17th Ave. reported the fire at about 10:30 a.m. and evacuated before firefighters arrived, said Spokane Fire Department Battalion Chief Mike Thompson.
Crews had to pull down much of the ceiling to attack the blaze, Thompson said.
No injuries were reported, but the home’s first floor and roof suffered severe damage from fire, smoke, water and the stripping of the ceiling. Thompson said the home had a working smoke alarm, though that wasn’t what alerted residents to the fire.
The cause is under investigation. Fire investigators are focusing their attention on an area in the attic near the chimney and some wiring where the fire appeared to have started, Thompson said.
Property records show the home, which was built in 1911, is owned by Rebecca S. Millar.