Andrew Daniel and Louie Lechich had run-scoring singles in the second inning Friday as the 19th-ranked San Diego Toreros (24-8, 6-2) defeated visiting Gonzaga 5-2 in a West Coast Conference baseball game.
Billy Moon had two hits, including an RBI single, for GU (20-8, 3-2).
The rubber game of the series is this afternoon.
• Joe Pistorese allowed three hits and struck out seven in seven innings as Washington State (15-12) piled up a 19-1 win over visiting Seattle (14-12) in nonconference play.
WSU’s P.J. Jones had a career-best five RBIs. Derek Jones hit his 40th career homer, tying the record held by Jeff Hooper (1984-87).
• Tyler Pfeffer (Shadle Park) hit a pair of three-run homers to guide Whitworth (15-10-1, 9-4 Northwest Conference) to a 9-1 win over Lewis & Clark (6-26, 3-13) at Portland.
Pfeffer leads the NWC with nine homers and 40 RBIs.
• Branden Berry hit a two-out, two-run homer in the third to lead Washington (17-10, 4-4 Pac-12) to a 6-4 win over sixth-ranked Stanford (18-7, 3-5) at Seattle.
Hayley Glantz (5-5) and Alex Watilo (11-3) matched four-hitters as Willamette (16-8, 15-4 NWC) posted a 3-1, 4-1 sweep of Whitworth (17-17, 10-12) at Salem, Ore.
• Hailey Bator pitched a shutout in the opener as host Wenatchee Valley (8-2 NWAACC) beat CC Spokane 4-0, 4-3.
Jaquelyn Corr had three hits on the day for the Sasquatch (11-8, 6-4).
• Snow (22-10, 20-8) registered a 9-3, 4-2 sweep over North Idaho (17-27, 13-21) in Scenic West Athletic Conference play at Ephraim, Utah.
• Washington’s Pac-12 home game against Arizona was postponed by rain after five innings and will resume this morning.
Track and field
Washington State’s Joe Abbott (3 minutes, 44.22 seconds) and Lee George (3:47.54) ran personal-best times in the men’s 1,500 meters at the Stanford (Calif.) Invitational.
Also at the meet, Idaho senior Erica Digby ran a career-best 4:22.18 in the women’s 1,500.
• Gonzaga’s Emily Thomas broke her school record in the 10,000 with a 35:01.46 at the San Francisco State Distance Carnival.
Click here to comment on this story »