April 9, 2012 in Nation/World

AT&T talks continue; workers may walk out

 

NEW YORK – About 40,000 AT&T landline workers are staying on the job this week without a contract, their union said Sunday.

The workers’ contracts expired over the weekend, raising the possibility of a strike. But the Communications Workers of America and AT&T Inc. said that they’ll keep working on a new deal.

CWA spokeswoman Candice Johnson said union representatives met with AT&T on Sunday after talks ended late Saturday. She doesn’t know how long it will take to reach an agreement.

“Everyone wants to get this done soon,” Johnson said.

The employees, meanwhile, will continue to receive the same wages and benefits as before. If negotiations break down, they still have the option to call for a walkout.

AT&T spokesman Marty Richter also said talks were ongoing. He said earlier that the company has been planning for the possibility for a strike for two years, and managers and vendors will step in to keep service running if there is one.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus