April 13, 2012 in City

Neighbors help fire victim escape unharmed

The Spokesman-Review
 
Map of this story's location

Valley firefighters quickly extinguished an apartment fire early this morning after neighbors smelled smoke and helped the occupant escape.

The Spokane Valley Fire Department said the 1 a.m. fire started on the third floor and extended into the attic at the Meadow Ridge Apartments, 12420 E. Mansfield Ave. Neighbors in the building smelled smoke, went outside and saw the fire in a third-floor unit. They called 911, alerted the resident and helped her escape.

Several fire crews arrived, safely evacuated the building and knocked down the fire.

Second- and third-floor units in the building were damaged, a news release said. Authorities estimated the damage at $50,000. The cause of the blaze was being investigated.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus